Gauss's Law vs Coulomb's law problem

In summary, the problem involves a thin sheet in the shape of an annular semicircle with a positive surface charge density. The question asks for the electric field at point P. While Gauss's Law could be used, the symmetry of the problem makes it more efficient to use Coulomb's Law. The flux may be zero through some surface without the electric field being zero anywhere on that surface due to the symmetry. The total charge of the thin sheet can be found by multiplying the surface charge density by the area, and this value can be used in Coulomb's equation for the electric field. In polar coordinates, components of the electric field cancel out, leading to a simpler solution.
yeshuamo

Homework Statement

A thin sheet in the shape of an annular semicircle has a positive surface charge density +σ as shown. What is the electric field at point P?

Here is an illustration of the problem:
http://postimg.org/image/630bpqwan/

Homework Equations

Gauss's Law:
φ=Qenclosed/ε0
φ=∫E⋅dA
Qenclosed=ε0*∫E⋅dA

Coulomb's Law:
E=(1/(4πε0))(Σq/(r2))

The Attempt at a Solution

If I draw a gaussian surface somewhere between the point P and the radius a, the charge enclosed would be zero. Can I assume that this would mean that the electric flux through that surface is zero, and, by extension, the electric field experienced at point P is zero, too?

If I'm wrong about the Gauss's law approach, should I instead use a Coulomb's law approach and integrate the electric field generated by the semicircular sheet, minus the electric field generated by the semicircular cavity?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
yeshuamo said:

Homework Statement

A thin sheet in the shape of an annular semicircle has a positive surface charge density +σ as shown. What is the electric field at point P?

Here is an illustration of the problem:
http://postimg.org/image/630bpqwan/

Homework Equations

Gauss's Law:
φ=Qenclosed/ε0
φ=∫E⋅dA
Qenclosed=ε0*∫E⋅dA

Coulomb's Law:
E=(1/(4πε0))(Σq/(r2))

The Attempt at a Solution

If I draw a gaussian surface somewhere between the point P and the radius a, the charge enclosed would be zero. Can I assume that this would mean that the electric flux through that surface is zero, and, by extension, the electric field experienced at point P is zero, too?

If I'm wrong about the Gauss's law approach, should I instead use a Coulomb's law approach and integrate the electric field generated by the semicircular sheet, minus the electric field generated by the semicircular cavity?

Thank you.
The short answer is to use Coulomb's Law.

The flux can be zero through some surface without the electric field being zero anywhere on that surface.

there is no symmetry that permits efficient use of gauss's law in this problem. the symmetry is much better suited for coulomb's law. you will have some components that cancel out due to the symmetry.

SammyS said:
The short answer is to use Coulomb's Law.

The flux can be zero through some surface without the electric field being zero anywhere on that surface.

cpsinkule said:
there is no symmetry that permits efficient use of gauss's law in this problem. the symmetry is much better suited for coulomb's law. you will have some components that cancel out due to the symmetry.

The symmetry factor makes this sensible. Thank you! I found the total charge of the thin sheet from the product of σ by its area, and used that total charge in the Coulomb's equation for electric field. And in polar coordinates, you were right, things canceled.

Thank you.

1. What is the difference between Gauss's Law and Coulomb's Law?

Gauss's Law and Coulomb's Law are both principles in electrostatics that relate to the distribution of electric charges. However, Coulomb's Law deals with the force between two individual charged particles, while Gauss's Law deals with the electric field generated by a distribution of charges.

2. Which law is more useful in solving problems?

The usefulness of either law depends on the specific problem being solved. Coulomb's Law is more useful for calculating the force between two individual charged particles, while Gauss's Law is more useful for calculating the electric field at a point due to a distribution of charges.

3. How are Gauss's Law and Coulomb's Law mathematically related?

Gauss's Law can be derived from Coulomb's Law by integrating over a closed surface. This means that Gauss's Law is essentially a more general form of Coulomb's Law.

4. Can Gauss's Law and Coulomb's Law be applied to all types of electric fields?

Yes, both laws can be applied to all types of electric fields, including those that are constant, varying, or non-uniform.

5. What are the limitations of Gauss's Law and Coulomb's Law?

Gauss's Law and Coulomb's Law are both limited to situations where the electric field is static (not changing with time) and where the charges are stationary. They also do not take into account the effects of magnetic fields.