Gear Load Factor (Reaction Load) Question

• Thread starter Richtdow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gear Load
In summary, the conversation discusses using the equation to determine shock stroke in aircraft landing gear design. The speaker assumes a gear load factor of 5, which is common for Navy fighter aircraft. They want the landing gear to be able to handle a STOL aircraft and function similarly to a carrier landing. The question is why an increase in gear load factor results in a decrease in shock stroke. The other speaker explains that the load on the airframe depends on how fast the vertical velocity is reduced to zero, and that a low load factor requires a longer shock strut compression distance. The speaker thanks them and acknowledges that they had not considered the time necessary to decelerate the vertical component to zero.
Richtdow
TL;DR Summary
Why does an increase in gear load factor decrease shock stroke?
Using the equation to determine shock stroke I input a gear load factor. For the aircraft landing gear that I am designing, I am assuming a gear load factor of 5 which is what is generally used for Navy fighter aircraft. This is because I am designing landing gear for a STOL aircraft and I want it to be able to drop right onto the landing spot more like a carrier landing. The question I have is why does an increase in gear load factor decrease the shock stroke? Perhaps I don't understand the concept of gear load factor very well, but I would assume that a harder landing would demand a greater shock stroke.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aircraft landing gear design starts with an assumed vertical velocity component. The landing gear absorbs that vertical velocity component by compressing the shock strut. The load on the airframe depends on how fast that vertical velocity is reduced to zero. If the landing gear has long struts with soft springs and low damping, the force is low while the compression distance is long. If the landing gear is rigid, with no compression distance, then the force is very high and things get broken.

Your analysis is turning that around by starting with the allowable load factor, and using that to find the required shock strut compression distance. A low load factor requires a long stroke to gradually decelerate the vertical velocity component. A high load factor stops the vertical component faster, so needs less distance.

That makes sense and thank you. It looks like taking into consideration the time necessary to decelerate the vertical component to zero is a factor that I was overlooking.

1. What is Gear Load Factor (Reaction Load)?

Gear Load Factor, also known as Reaction Load, is a measure of the load or force that is applied to a gear during operation. It is an important factor in determining the strength and durability of gears.

2. How is Gear Load Factor (Reaction Load) calculated?

Gear Load Factor is calculated by dividing the maximum transmitted torque by the gear's allowable torque rating. This value is then multiplied by a factor that takes into account the gear's size, material, and operating conditions.

3. What factors affect Gear Load Factor (Reaction Load)?

There are several factors that can affect Gear Load Factor, including the gear's material, size, tooth profile, operating speed, and lubrication. The type of load, such as constant or shock, can also impact the load factor.

4. Why is Gear Load Factor (Reaction Load) important?

Gear Load Factor is important because it helps determine the maximum load that a gear can handle without failure. It is crucial in designing and selecting gears for various applications, ensuring they can withstand the expected loads and operate safely and efficiently.

5. How can Gear Load Factor (Reaction Load) be optimized?

To optimize Gear Load Factor, engineers can use various techniques such as selecting appropriate gear materials, adjusting gear sizes, and modifying tooth profiles. Proper lubrication and maintenance can also help improve the load factor and extend the lifespan of gears.