1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gen Chem II Voltaic Cells question, not homework

1. Aug 3, 2009 #1
    Im try to make sure i understand something right. I have two jars on the left is oxidation takes place and on right reduction takes place. A wire connects them to allow electrons to move. electrons move from left side to right side. This makes the left side negative cause it produces electrons. The right side is cathode, it uses the electrons. So since it moves like this the current would run in the opposite direction. Am i correct ? Cause by my books picture, it seems the get the orientation wrong then, or am i wrong ?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It's coursework ("Chem II"). Still belongs here.

Could you please scan your book's figure, and upload it here?

4. Aug 3, 2009 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

One possible clarification is that "current" flows in one direction, but electrons flow in the opposite direction. Current is associated with the transfer of positive charge.

Interpreting the electrode processes is based on reduction occurring at the electrode called the Cathode; and "oxidation" occurring at the electrode called the "Anode". Your topic title indicates "Voltaic" cell, from memory being same as "galvanic" cell; so this means your system is spontaneously creating electron flow on its own. Tell us your two Half-Cell reactions; in other words, tell us what solution and electrode material you have on each of the Left side and the Right side?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook