Gen Chem II Voltaic Cells question, not homework

In summary, the figure shows a schematic of a Voltaic cell. The left side is called the Cathode and the right side is called the Anode. The cell is designed to create electron flow by having two solutions connected to the electrodes.
th3plan
Im try to make sure i understand something right. I have two jars on the left is oxidation takes place and on right reduction takes place. A wire connects them to allow electrons to move. electrons move from left side to right side. This makes the left side negative cause it produces electrons. The right side is cathode, it uses the electrons. So since it moves like this the current would run in the opposite direction. Am i correct ? Cause by my books picture, it seems the get the orientation wrong then, or am i wrong ?

Physics news on Phys.org
th3plan said:
Im try to make sure i understand something right. I have two jars on the left is oxidation takes place and on right reduction takes place. A wire connects them to allow electrons to move. electrons move from left side to right side. This makes the left side negative cause it produces electrons. The right side is cathode, it uses the electrons. So since it moves like this the current would run in the opposite direction. Am i correct ? Cause by my books picture, it seems the get the orientation wrong then, or am i wrong ?

It's coursework ("Chem II"). Still belongs here.

Could you please scan your book's figure, and upload it here?

One possible clarification is that "current" flows in one direction, but electrons flow in the opposite direction. Current is associated with the transfer of positive charge.

Interpreting the electrode processes is based on reduction occurring at the electrode called the Cathode; and "oxidation" occurring at the electrode called the "Anode". Your topic title indicates "Voltaic" cell, from memory being same as "galvanic" cell; so this means your system is spontaneously creating electron flow on its own. Tell us your two Half-Cell reactions; in other words, tell us what solution and electrode material you have on each of the Left side and the Right side?

1) What is a voltaic cell?

A voltaic cell, also known as a galvanic cell, is an electrochemical cell that converts chemical energy into electrical energy through a spontaneous redox reaction.

2) How does a voltaic cell work?

A voltaic cell consists of two half-cells, each containing an electrode and an electrolyte solution. The electrodes are connected by a wire and a salt bridge. The oxidation half-reaction occurs at the anode, releasing electrons that flow through the wire to the reduction half-reaction at the cathode. This flow of electrons creates an electric current.

3) What is the purpose of a salt bridge in a voltaic cell?

A salt bridge is used to maintain electrical neutrality in the half-cells by allowing ions to flow between the two solutions. This prevents the buildup of charge in either half-cell, allowing the voltaic cell to continue producing electricity.

4) How is the voltage of a voltaic cell determined?

The voltage, or potential difference, of a voltaic cell is determined by the difference in the reduction potentials of the two half-reactions. The greater the difference, the higher the voltage produced by the cell.

5) What factors affect the voltage of a voltaic cell?

The voltage of a voltaic cell is affected by the concentrations of the reactants and products in the half-cells, the nature of the electrodes, and the temperature. Increasing the concentrations of the reactants can increase the voltage, while changing the type of electrode or the temperature can alter the cell potential.