How much water to dissolve 1.49 L of gas using Henry's law?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ttiger2k7
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chem Solubility
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 6K views
ttiger2k7
Messages
57
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A gas has a Henry's law constant of 0.150 M/atm. How much water would be needed to completely dissolve 1.49 L of the gas at a pressure of 720 torr and temp of 14 C.

Homework Equations



m = amount solute (in mol)/mass solvent(in kg)
M = amount solute (in mol)/volume solution (in L)
Henry's Law: [tex]S_{gas} = k_{H}*P_{gas}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



Convert torr to atm:

[tex]S_{gas} = k_{H}*P_{gas}[/tex]
[tex]S_{gas} = .150 M/atm*(720/760) atm[/tex]
[tex]S_{gas} = .1421 M[/tex]

[tex].1420 \frac{mol}{L} = \frac{?}{1.49 L}[/tex]

1.49 L of this gas contains .2117 moles.

That's where I get stuck. Not sure about the dissolving portion of this problem. Any help would be appreciated.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Im stuck on an almost identical problem. If I no one posts a solution I will go in tomorrow and get help and post the solution here.
 
You know the molar concentration of the gas in solution, you know number of moles of the gas, just use definition of molar concentration.
 
I don't understand. It seems straightforward enough, .1421 moles of gas can be in 1 liter of water. there are .2117 moles. So about 1.48 L of water should disolve the gas. I use this approach but the answer isn't right...
 
Approach is correct, but it looks to me like you have confused volumes.

1.49 L of gas at 14 deg C and 720 torr is NOT 0.2117 mole.