Using Henry's law for dissolved methane in a well

In summary, the conversation discusses the release of dissolved methane gas from water at the bottom of a well. The calculation for the number of moles of methane gas released is based on the Henry's law constant and the pressure of the water column, assuming the water is saturated with methane. The final step is to convert the given volume of water into moles of methane.
zaboda42
Suppose water at the bottom of a well contains dissolved methane. When the water is pumped up, the dissolved gas is released. How many moles of methane gas will be released if the well is 115 m deep and holds 2 L.

Assume a Henry's law constant of 2.97 x 104 atm at 10o C (at the bottom of the well) and 4.13 x 104 atm at 25o C. The density of water is 1000 kg/m3.

So we have:

xmethane = ymethaneP/Hmethane(T) where y is the mol% and x is the mol fraction.

We can find P for a column of water by using the relation P = ρgh where ρ = 1000 kg/m3, g = 9.8 m/s2, and h = 115 m. Thus P = 1.127 x 106 Pa = 8453 mmHg.

I have Hmethane(10o C), but how do I obtain a value for ymethane so that I can plug it into the above equation to get the desired value for xmethane?

Physics news on Phys.org
zaboda42 said:
Suppose water at the bottom of a well contains dissolved methane. When the water is pumped up, the dissolved gas is released. How many moles of methane gas will be released if the well is 115 m deep and holds 2 L.

Assume a Henry's law constant of 2.97 x 104 atm at 10o C (at the bottom of the well) and 4.13 x 104 atm at 25o C. The density of water is 1000 kg/m3.

So we have:

xmethane = ymethaneP/Hmethane(T) where y is the mol% and x is the mol fraction.

We can find P for a column of water by using the relation P = ρgh where ρ = 1000 kg/m3, g = 9.8 m/s2, and h = 115 m. Thus P = 1.127 x 106 Pa = 8453 mmHg.

I have Hmethane(10o C), but how do I obtain a value for ymethane so that I can plug it into the above equation to get the desired value for xmethane?
If there were methane gas trapped (say under a cavity) at depth in equilibrium with the water, it would be virtually pure methane (y =1), since the vapor pressure of water at 10 C is very low compared to the total pressure. Assume that the water is saturated with methane, and use y = 1.

Chet

So then my answer simple becomes xmethane = P/Hmethane(T)?

P = 8453 mmHg = 11.12 atm

xmethane = 11.12/(2.97 x 104 atm) = 3.744 x 10-4

Does this process appear correct?

zaboda42 said:
So then my answer simple becomes xmethane = P/Hmethane(T)?

P = 8453 mmHg = 11.12 atm

xmethane = 11.12/(2.97 x 104 atm) = 3.744 x 10-4

Does this process appear correct?
Yes. Now, what do you do next?

Convert the 2 L given into moles of methane. I suppose a pretty straightforward process from here. Thank you for your help!

zaboda42 said:
Convert the 2 L given into moles of methane. I suppose a pretty straightforward process from here. Thank you for your help!

One more thing. Is the Henry's law constant that you are working with equal to the pressure divided by mole fraction in the liquid? Many times, H is given as the pressure divided by the concentration in the liquid (moles/liter).

1. What is Henry's Law?

Henry's Law states that the amount of gas that can dissolve in a liquid is directly proportional to the pressure of the gas above the liquid, at a constant temperature. This means that as the pressure of a gas increases, more of it will dissolve in a liquid.

2. How is Henry's Law used in relation to dissolved methane in a well?

In the context of dissolved methane in a well, Henry's Law can be used to determine the amount of methane that can dissolve in the well water at a given depth and pressure. This information can be important for understanding the potential for methane contamination in the well.

3. What factors affect the amount of dissolved methane in a well?

The amount of dissolved methane in a well is affected by the pressure of the methane in the surrounding rock formations, the temperature of the well water, and the solubility of methane in water (which is influenced by factors such as salinity and pH).

4. How is Henry's Law used to estimate the concentration of dissolved methane in a well?

To estimate the concentration of dissolved methane in a well, the pressure and temperature of the well water are measured, and then the solubility of methane in water at those conditions is determined using Henry's Law. This can provide an estimate of the amount of methane that could potentially dissolve in the well water.

5. Can Henry's Law be used to predict the potential for methane migration into a well?

Henry's Law is just one factor that can influence the potential for methane migration into a well. Other factors, such as the permeability of the surrounding rock formations and the presence of pathways for methane to travel, also play a role. Therefore, while Henry's Law can provide some information, it cannot predict the potential for methane migration on its own.