1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Henry's law for dissolved methane in a well

1. Oct 31, 2013 #1
    Suppose water at the bottom of a well contains dissolved methane. When the water is pumped up, the dissolved gas is released. How many moles of methane gas will be released if the well is 115 m deep and holds 2 L.

Assume a Henry's law constant of 2.97 x 104 atm at 10o C (at the bottom of the well) and 4.13 x 104 atm at 25o C. The density of water is 1000 kg/m3.

So we have:

xmethane = ymethaneP/Hmethane(T) where y is the mol% and x is the mol fraction.

We can find P for a column of water by using the relation P = ρgh where ρ = 1000 kg/m3, g = 9.8 m/s2, and h = 115 m. Thus P = 1.127 x 106 Pa = 8453 mmHg.

I have Hmethane(10o C), but how do I obtain a value for ymethane so that I can plug it into the above equation to get the desired value for xmethane?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2013 #2
    If there were methane gas trapped (say under a cavity) at depth in equilibrium with the water, it would be virtually pure methane (y =1), since the vapor pressure of water at 10 C is very low compared to the total pressure. Assume that the water is saturated with methane, and use y = 1.

Chet

4. Oct 31, 2013 #3
    So then my answer simple becomes xmethane = P/Hmethane(T)?

P = 8453 mmHg = 11.12 atm

xmethane = 11.12/(2.97 x 104 atm) = 3.744 x 10-4

Does this process appear correct?

5. Oct 31, 2013 #4
    Yes. Now, what do you do next?

6. Oct 31, 2013 #5
    Convert the 2 L given into moles of methane. I suppose a pretty straightforward process from here. Thank you for your help!

7. Oct 31, 2013 #6
    One more thing. Is the Henry's law constant that you are working with equal to the pressure divided by mole fraction in the liquid? Many times, H is given as the pressure divided by the concentration in the liquid (moles/liter).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted