1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General engineering with specialization in electrical

1. Jul 24, 2015 #1
    Hi,
    I want to be an engineer but am not completely decided on what kind. I was wondering if I get a general engineering degree and get a specialization in electrical engineering, will this allow me to pursue a job as an electrical/electronics engineer out of college? Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2015 #2
    If you had a choice between two people to hire as an electrical engineer--someone with an electrical engineering degree or someone with a general engineering degree with a concentration in electrical--which would be the safer bet?

I'd personally say the first. But that doesn't mean you couldn't get a job. You'd probably want to look into PE licensing with a degree that isn't explicitly EE if you ever plan on working with the public. All in all, you're probably better off figuring out what you like and specializing more.

4. Jul 24, 2015 #3

analogdesign

Science Advisor

The first two years of all engineering programs are essentially identical. So, why not sign up for electrical, and if it turns out you LOVE your chemistry class, switch to Chemical Engineering (or if you love statics and dynamics switch to mechanical)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook