General Equation of the Line of the Major Axis of an Ellipse

In summary, the person is asking for help with finding the equation of the line passing through the major axis of an ellipse, given the equation of the ellipse. They have attempted to solve the problem by finding the coordinates of the line using a rotation matrix, but have not been successful. They have also tried using the equation $$ \tan \theta = \frac{\sqrt{8-3x^2} + x}{\sqrt{8-3y^2 + y}} $$ but it has not provided any useful information. The person is seeking clarification on their approach and any potential mistakes they may have made.
Hugo S
This is a question I have been playing with this week out of curiosity but I keep coming up against brick walls and unenlightening results.

Given the equation of an ellipse, say $$ x^{2} - xy + y^2 = 2, $$ I would like to find the equation of the line which passes through the major axis.

I tried solving for x and y and applying a rotation matrix. Doing so, I found that

$$x' = \cos \theta (-\sqrt{8-3y^2} - y) + \sin \theta (-\sqrt{8 - 3x^2} - x) $$
$$y' = \sin \theta (\sqrt{8-3y^2} + y) + \cos \theta (-\sqrt{8 - 3x^2} - x). $$

Setting the second equation to equal zero and solving in terms of θ I ended up with the result: $$ \tan \theta = \frac{\sqrt{8-3x^2} + x}{\sqrt{8-3y^2 + y}}. $$

This result doesn't seem to help me as it is ultimately telling me something very trivial that I already know about the relationship between x and y coordinates and the tan function.

I know that my choice of coordinates might not be particularly strategic. Are there any other mistakes I'm making in how I'm approaching this?

Thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You may be able to make better progress by being carefull about describing what you are doing. i.e.:

What are x' and y' and ##\theta##?

What is the trivial thing the tan equation ends up telling you?
What is it you hoped it would tell you?

Have you seen.:
http://www.maa.org/external_archive/joma/Volume8/Kalman/General.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the general equation of the line of the major axis of an ellipse?

The general equation of the line of the major axis of an ellipse is x = a, where a is the length of the semi-major axis.

2. How is the length of the semi-major axis determined?

The length of the semi-major axis is determined by the distance from the center of the ellipse to the farthest point on the ellipse along the major axis.

3. Can the general equation of the line of the major axis be used for all ellipses?

Yes, the general equation x = a can be applied to all ellipses, regardless of the size or orientation of the ellipse.

4. How does the general equation of the line of the major axis relate to the standard form of an ellipse?

The general equation of the line of the major axis, x = a, is a simplified version of the standard form of an ellipse, (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where h and k are the coordinates of the center of the ellipse and a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively.

5. Is the general equation of the line of the major axis the same as the equation for the x-axis of a Cartesian plane?

No, the general equation of the line of the major axis is specific to ellipses and is used to represent the major axis of an ellipse, while the equation for the x-axis of a Cartesian plane is simply y = 0.