General formula for finding the sum of sequences and series?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
JLol
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I know that there are particular formulas for finding the geometric/arithmetic/ and recursive sequences or series with [itex]\Sigma[/itex]. But is there a general formula for finding the sum for all three types? For example, what if I was asked to find a sum of a particular finite sequence but I don't know whether or not it's geometric, arithmetic, or recursive? Help would be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
No, there's no general formula. It completely depends on the type of series. If you are having problems with some specific series then you can post it and somebody can give you a hand with identifying the type or some other special trick. But there's no magic bullet.