1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General initial value problem (DE's)

1. Dec 11, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a) Consider the initial value problem [tex]\frac{dA}{dt} = kA, A(0) = A_0[/tex] as the model for the decay of a radioactive substance. Show that in general the half-life T of the substance is [tex]T = -\frac{ln2}{k}[/tex]

b) Show that the solution of the initial-value problem in part a) can be written as [tex]A(t) = A_02^{\frac{-t}{T}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    **See attempt**

3. The attempt at a solution

So I started with the given information: [tex]\frac{dA}{dt} = kA, A(0) = A_0[/tex] and turned it into a DE then solving by the separation of variables technique.

so, [tex]A=A_0e^{kt}[/tex]

From here I tried to divide the whole equation by [tex]\frac{A}{2}=A_0e^{kt}[/tex], but that did not seem to do anything.

Can anyone please give me a pointer to get me started in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2006 #2
    You are trying to find the time when A is half its initial value, ie [itex]A(T)=A_{0}/2[/itex]. You got the right formula for A, so you should say [itex]A(T)=A_{0}/2=A_0e^{kT}[/itex] and then solve for T.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?