General Launch Angle (Vectors) HELP

In summary, the conversation is about a handball game where the ball is hit at ground level towards a wall at a specific speed and angle. The questions involve calculating the time it takes to reach the wall, the height of the ball when it hits the wall, and the magnitude and direction of its velocity. The solution involves finding the magnitude of the vector and using trigonometric functions to find the direction. The conversation ends with a question on how to calculate the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity at the wall.
baseketballr09
General Launch Angle (Vectors) PLZ HELP URGENT

Homework Statement

In a friendly game of handball, you hit the ball essentially at ground level and send it toward the wall witha speed of 13m/s at an angle of 24 degrees above the horizontal. a) how long does it take for the ball to reach the wall if it is 4.2m away? b) how high is the ball when it hits the wall? c) what are the magnitude and direction of the ball's velocity when it strikes the wall?

Homework Equations

magnitude - vector A is A = (square root Ax^2 + Ay^2)
direction- vector A is theta = inverse tangent (Ay/Ax), theta is measured relative to x axis.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already done a) .35 seconds and b) 1.36 meters... for c) i got the magnitude which is 12 m/s but i am clueless on how to get direction...somebody please help I'm lost and i have tried my best not to mention i have a quiz on this stuff in four hours...

Physics news on Phys.org
You have already written down how to to find the direction of a vector in terms of Ay and Ax.

Find vx and vy at the wall.

how might i go about doing that please?

Calculate vx and vy separately. vx remains constant beacuse there's no force in the horizontal direction. vy changes due to gravity acting down ward. So,
vy_final^2 = vy_initial^2 -2gh.

What is the definition of general launch angle?

General launch angle refers to the angle at which an object is launched or projected into motion relative to the ground or horizontal plane.

How is general launch angle calculated?

General launch angle can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. The horizontal and vertical components of the launch velocity are used to determine the angle.

What is the importance of general launch angle in physics?

General launch angle is important in physics because it affects the trajectory and motion of an object. The angle determines the vertical and horizontal components of the object's velocity, which in turn determines its path.

How does general launch angle affect the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is directly affected by the general launch angle. The optimal angle for maximum range is 45 degrees. Any angle above or below this will result in a shorter range.

What factors can influence the general launch angle?

The general launch angle can be influenced by factors such as initial velocity, air resistance, and gravity. The shape and weight of the object can also affect the angle at which it is launched.