General limit formula: limit of 1/(1+2e^-x)

In summary: Then you have to use the definition of e^u. The limit is equivalent to arguing that lim u->0 (e^u-1)/u=1. The usual definition of e^u is limit n->infinity (1+u/n)^n.Limiting FormulaIn summary, the general limit equation states that if f(x+h) - f(x)/h is continuous at x=h, then h→0. To solve for h, you use l'Hopital's rule, which states that the limit is equivalent to arguing that lim u->0 (e^u-1)/u=1.
smeiste

Homework Statement

Going over an old test and this question popped up and I cannot get an answer that makes sense. Somehow we were supposed to use the general limit formula to find the limit for this equation.

Homework Equations

General limit equation:
lim f(x+h) - f(x)/h
h→0

The Attempt at a Solution

nothing I do really makes sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us an attempt that doesn't seem to work. It's not really that hard. You'll wind up using l'Hopital's rule to evaluate a limit at the end.

well. i was thinking of taking the ln of both sides? but then i ended up with 0. which doesn't make sense.

once i applied the formula this is what i got.
lim [(1/1+2e^-(x+h)) - (1/1+2e^-x)]/h
h→0

not sure how to apply l'hospitals rule to that.

just tried l'hospital and got 2e^-x/(1+2e^-x)^2 - 2e^-x/(1+2e^-x)^2 = 0

smeiste said:
once i applied the formula this is what i got.
lim [(1/1+2e^-(x+h)) - (1/1+2e^-x)]/h
h→0

not sure how to apply l'hospitals rule to that.

Put the two terms in the numerator over a common denominator and combine them before you start doing l'Hopital. Try and factor it into parts that go to zero and parts that don't go to zero.

Last edited:
now I've got
lim [(2e^-x - 2e^-(x+h))/((1+2e^-(x+h))*(1+2e^-x))]/h
h→0

smeiste said:
now I've got
lim [(2e^-x - 2e^-(x+h))/((1+2e^-(x+h))*(1+2e^-x))]/h
h→0

Ok. So the 0/0 part is (2e^-x - 2e^-(x+h))/h, right? I'd simplify it a bit and use l'Hopital on it.

when i apply l'hospitals rule do i just derive the 0/0 part or do i derive both parts?

smeiste said:
when i apply l'hospitals rule do i just derive the 0/0 part or do i derive both parts?

The other part just approaches a nonzero number. It's a lot easier if you leave it out of the derivative and just apply l'Hopital to the 0/0 part.

okay so when I derived the (2e^-x)-(2e^-(x+h))/h I got [-2e^-x + 2e^-(x+h)]/1 which ends up being zero anyway?

smeiste said:
okay so when I derived the (2e^-x)-(2e^-(x+h))/h I got [-2e^-x + 2e^-(x+h)]/1 which ends up being zero anyway?

The derivative in l'Hopital's rule is d/dh. 2e^(-x) has no h's in it. Shouldn't it have zero derivative? It's a constant with respect to h.

okay I see. so the answer is
lim 2e^-x/9 ?
h→0

haha never mind. the answer is
lim 2e^-x/[(1+2e^-x)^2] ?

and once I have the right equation I can plug any number as x (say 1/2) and get the limit at that point? or would I have to use
lim f(x) - f(a)/(x-a)?
x→a

It seems strange to use L'Hôpital's rule to find a limit, when that limit itself is being used to find the derivative of a function.

However, the only other way I see to evaluate this limit is to use a Taylor series, and that is also based on derivatives.

smeiste said:
and once I have the right equation I can plug any number as x (say 1/2) and get the limit at that point? or would I have to use
lim f(x) - f(a)/(x-a)?
x→a

Well, now you have the formula for general x, so sure you can just plug in the x value. And yeah, I agree with SammyS it's a little odd to use l'Hopital to find a limit when you are trying to derive a derivative. So if you can think of another way to show that limit h->0 of (1-e^(-h))/h=1 without using derivatives it would be better. On the other hand, it's a pretty complicated function to be applying the difference quotient approach to directly. So I figured a little cheating wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:
yeah this was a question on my midterm before we had even learned L'Hospitals rule. So i don't know how they expected us to solve it haha.

smeiste said:
yeah this was a question on my midterm before we had even learned L'Hospitals rule. So i don't know how they expected us to solve it haha.

Then you have to use the definition of e^u. The limit is equivalent to arguing that lim u->0 (e^u-1)/u=1. The usual definition of e^u is limit n->infinity (1+u/n)^n. I think it's pretty likely that at the time you originally took the midterm they had already proved that lim u->0 (e^u-1)/u=1. I'd review what you've got in the text from that time.

1. What is the general limit formula for the expression 1/(1+2e^-x)?

The general limit formula for the expression 1/(1+2e^-x) is limx→∞ 1/(1+2e^-x) = 1/2. This means that as the value of x approaches infinity, the expression will approach the value of 1/2.

2. How is the limit of 1/(1+2e^-x) calculated?

The limit of 1/(1+2e^-x) is calculated by taking the limit of the denominator, which is 1+2e^-x, as x approaches infinity. This limit is then used to solve for the limit of the entire expression.

3. What is the significance of the limit of 1/(1+2e^-x)?

The limit of 1/(1+2e^-x) is significant because it represents the maximum or minimum value that the expression can approach as x approaches infinity. It can also help in determining the behavior of the expression as x gets closer to infinity.

4. Can the general limit formula be applied to other expressions?

Yes, the general limit formula can be applied to other expressions that have a similar form to 1/(1+2e^-x). It can be used to find the limit of any expression where the denominator approaches a constant value as x approaches infinity.

5. How is the general limit formula useful in real-world applications?

The general limit formula can be useful in various fields of science and mathematics, such as in physics, biology, and economics. It can help in predicting the behavior of certain systems or processes as they approach their limits. It can also be used to solve problems involving infinite series or sequences.