1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General math formatting question (simple)

1. Jun 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Hi, so this is just a general question about how math homework should be submitted. I seem to change between formats, and I'd like to finally get an answer on how I should be doing things.

Say I'm working on a problem with a formula that was given to me, should I write the formula with the variables at the starting of my steps, and then write the formula again with my numbers plugged in to the variables? For example, should I include the quadratic formula with the variables in place as a first step, and then write the quadratic formula again with my numbers plugged in? Or is that first step unnecessary?

Last question, say I'm balancing an equation, do I have to include the step between say:

10 = x + 5

10 - 5 = x

The step in between being : "10 - 5 = x + 5 - 5"

This is for Grade 11 math. I'm not sure if at this stage I shouldn't have to include that stuff anymore.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I would say no, that you don't have to write the quadratic formula.
    No to this as well. Going from your first equation above to the second, it should be pretty obvious to your teacher that you are adding -5 to both sides of the first equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook