General math formatting question (simple)

In summary, when submitting math homework, there is no need to include the formula with variables and then again with numbers plugged in. Similarly, for balancing equations, the intermediate step can be omitted. This is for Grade 11 math.
priceofcarrot

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi, so this is just a general question about how math homework should be submitted. I seem to change between formats, and I'd like to finally get an answer on how I should be doing things.Say I'm working on a problem with a formula that was given to me, should I write the formula with the variables at the starting of my steps, and then write the formula again with my numbers plugged into the variables? For example, should I include the quadratic formula with the variables in place as a first step, and then write the quadratic formula again with my numbers plugged in? Or is that first step unnecessary? Last question, say I'm balancing an equation, do I have to include the step between say:

10 = x + 5

10 - 5 = x

The step in between being : "10 - 5 = x + 5 - 5"This is for Grade 11 math. I'm not sure if at this stage I shouldn't have to include that stuff anymore.Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
priceofcarrot said:
Hi, so this is just a general question about how math homework should be submitted. I seem to change between formats, and I'd like to finally get an answer on how I should be doing things.

Say I'm working on a problem with a formula that was given to me, should I write the formula with the variables at the starting of my steps, and then write the formula again with my numbers plugged into the variables? For example, should I include the quadratic formula with the variables in place as a first step, and then write the quadratic formula again with my numbers plugged in? Or is that first step unnecessary?
I would say no, that you don't have to write the quadratic formula.
priceofcarrot said:
Last question, say I'm balancing an equation, do I have to include the step between say:

10 = x + 5

10 - 5 = x

The step in between being : "10 - 5 = x + 5 - 5"
No to this as well. Going from your first equation above to the second, it should be pretty obvious to your teacher that you are adding -5 to both sides of the first equation.
priceofcarrot said:
This is for Grade 11 math. I'm not sure if at this stage I shouldn't have to include that stuff anymore.

Thanks

1. What is the proper way to format mathematical equations in general?

The most common format for mathematical equations is to use standard mathematical notation, including symbols and operators such as +, -, x, ÷, =, and parentheses. It is also important to clearly indicate the order of operations and use proper spacing and grouping to avoid confusion.

2. Can I use special characters or symbols in mathematical equations?

Yes, you can use special characters and symbols in mathematical equations, such as Greek letters, mathematical functions, and other symbols. However, it is important to use them correctly and make sure they are readable and easily understood by others.

3. How do I show fractions and exponents in mathematical equations?

Fractions can be represented using a forward slash (/) or the division symbol (÷). Exponents can be shown using the caret symbol (^) or by writing the base number followed by a superscript number. For example, 2^3 or 23 both represent 2 to the power of 3.

4. Is there a standard order for writing mathematical equations?

Yes, there is a standard order for writing mathematical equations, known as the Order of Operations. This order determines which operations should be performed first in a mathematical expression. It is generally remembered using the acronym PEMDAS, which stands for parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division (from left to right), addition and subtraction (from left to right).

5. How can I make my mathematical equations more visually appealing?

There are many ways to make mathematical equations more visually appealing, such as using different font types and sizes, adding subscripts and superscripts, using different colors or highlighting important parts of the equation, and aligning equations properly. It is also important to use proper spacing and formatting to make the equations easy to read and understand.