S=u*t+a*t^2/2 VS ratio 1:2:3:5... t1/t10= ...

Steels
Homework Statement
Galileo Ratio? But why squeroot? what am i missing?
Relevant Equations
s=u*t+a*t^2/2 VS 1:2:3:... t1/t10=s1/s10?
Hello! I can do this task just using this formula s=u*t+a*t^2/2.
But just saw an example where someone used this Galileo toerem.
Here is task:
"An observer stands on the platform at the front edge of the first bogie of a stationary train. The train starts moving with uniform acceleration and the first bogie takes 5 seconds to cross the observer. If all the bogies of the train are of equal length and the gap between them is negligible, the time taken by the tength bogie to cross observer is?"
Now please, if you look at picture, you see its t1/t10=1/(sqrt(10)-sqrt(9))My question is, why its in squeroot? Where do we get x^2? so to get squeroot we need x^2! but from what? Why the lenght, it its meter it should be as meter, so where we get m^2? What am i doing wrong. Thanks for any explenation!
galileo.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
hllo @Steels ,
:welcome: ##\qquad ## !​

You have $$ s = {1\over 2}at^2$$so$$t = \sqrt{s\over 2a}$$and you are given that ##t_1 = 5## sec is the time for the first car to pass the observer.

If a car has length ##l##, you know that ##\sqrt{l\over 2a}= 5## sec.

And the exercise asks for ##\sqrt{10 {l\over 2a}} - \sqrt{9 {l\over 2a}} = \left (\sqrt{10 } - \sqrt{9} \right ) {l\over 2a} ## which, as you can see has the dimension of time.

The 10 and the 9 are numbers, no dimension.

##\ ##

Likes MatinSAR and topsquark
BvU said:
If a car has length ##l##, you know that ##\sqrt{l\over 2a}= 5## sec.
Ahem, $$L=\dfrac{1}{2}at^2 \implies t^2=\dfrac{2L}{a} \implies t=\sqrt{\dfrac{2L}{a} }.$$ Also ##\sqrt{\frac{L}{a}}## has dimensions of time.

Likes MatinSAR
Oops, thank you ! o:)

Likes kuruman
Steels said:
... the time taken by the tength bogie to cross observer is?
Ten (or more) bogies? That’s a bogie wonderland! (If puzzled, give yourself a treat and click here.)

By the way - 'tenth' not 'tength'!

Muchas love for explanation! How could i miss that.
Thank you all for replys! Have a nice day to you all!

Hold it ! Had no idea what a bogie is; turns out the tenth bogie may well be at he end of the fifth railway car, not the tenth ! Unless we are talking Indian English ...

Google said:
The term "car" is commonly used by itself in American English when a rail context is implicit. Indian English sometimes uses "bogie" in the same manner,[1]
(but then, who trusts google...)

The exercise becomes pretty impossible if bogie ##\ne## railcar ... :rolleyes:

##\ ##

BvU said:
Hold it ! Had no idea what a bogie is; turns out the tenth bogie may well be at he end of the fifth railway car, not the tenth ! Unless we are talking Indian English ...

(but then, who trusts google...)

The exercise becomes pretty impossible if bogie ##\ne## railcar ... :rolleyes:

##\ ##
No, it's a rail wagon= railcar. bogie is meant the same as wagon.

Ok, a bogie is a railcar -- keeps things manageable :smile: . But let's try to use English English for our communication ... wagon it is.

In response to a private conversation:

Steels said:
... i tried that later and i failed! ..
1st IMG _0370 picture, i got same result with just using physics method.

But in 2nd IMG_0371picture is what you sent me this morning! That mathematic ratio stuff.
And i am wondering about that part, where does that go!
Please, take a look at pictures, especially at 0371. what am i doing wrong by doing all that algebra stuff? Maybe wrong shortening?

IMG_0370:
1697812089298.png

IMG_0371:
?hash=b0e5ba1f73dafa9a00fd908056e4f98e.png

##\ ##

We want to do this in the actual thread, not in private conversation: that way, others can correct any mistakes (which has already occurred at least once !)​
Also, we should type our equations using ##\LaTeX## for legibility​

Re IMG_0371:
The exercise asks for
Steels said:
the time taken by the tength bogie to cross observer
So that is
the time from ##t=0## until the tenth wagon has passed the observer (let's call this ##t_{10}##)​
minus
the time from ##t=0## until the ninth wagon has passed the observer (let's call this ##t_{9}##)​

(Note that ##t_{10}## is defined differently here: with these definitions, the answer to the exercise is ##t_{10}-t_9## !)

And we were given
the time from ##t=0## until the first wagon has passed the observer (let's call this ##t_{1}##, 5 seconds)​

Let me correct my mistake(s) in #2
BvU said:
If a car has length ##l,## you know that ##\sqrt{l\over 2a}= 5## sec.
(using lower case ##l## was one, ##l\over 2a## instead of ##2l\over a## the other :rolleyes: and kuruman caught both !)

If one wagon has length ##L##, we can write$$
\begin{align*} t_1 &= \sqrt{\dfrac{2}{a} \,L} \\ t_{10} &= \sqrt{\dfrac{2}{a} \,10 L} \\ t_9 &= \sqrt{\dfrac{2}{a} \,9L} \end{align*}
$$so that our exercise answer becomes $$
\begin{align*} t_{10}-t_9 &=\sqrt{\dfrac{2}{a} \,10 L} \ - \sqrt{\dfrac{2}{a} \,9 L} \\
&=\sqrt{\dfrac{2}{a} \, L}\ \sqrt {10\;\vphantom{\dfrac{1}{1}}} \ - \sqrt{\dfrac{2}{a} \, L} \ \sqrt {9\;\vphantom{\dfrac{1}{1}}} \\
&= \sqrt{\dfrac{2}{a} \, L} \ \left (\sqrt {10\;} - \sqrt {9\;} \right ) \\
&=t_1 \left (\sqrt {10} - \sqrt 9 \right ) \end{align*} $$

Does this clarify things a little ?

##\ ##

Attachments

• 1697812503300.png
    1697812503300.png
    51 KB · Views: 38
Likes SammyS and Steels

What is the formula S=u*t+a*t^2/2 and what is the VS ratio 1:2:3:5?

The formula S=u*t+a*t^2/2 represents the displacement of an object moving with initial velocity u, acceleration a, and time t. The VS ratio 1:2:3:5 refers to the ratio of the displacements when the time is divided into 10 equal intervals.

How do you calculate the ratio t1/t10 in the given scenario?

To calculate the ratio t1/t10 in the given scenario, you need to substitute the values of t1 and t10 into the formula S=u*t+a*t^2/2 and calculate the displacements for t1 and t10. Then, divide the displacement at t1 by the displacement at t10 to get the ratio t1/t10.

What does the ratio 1:2:3:5 represent in the context of the formula S=u*t+a*t^2/2?

The ratio 1:2:3:5 represents the relative magnitudes of the displacements at different time intervals when the time is divided into 10 equal intervals. It shows how the displacement changes over time according to the given formula.

How can the formula S=u*t+a*t^2/2 be used to analyze the motion of an object?

The formula S=u*t+a*t^2/2 can be used to calculate the displacement of an object at different time intervals when the initial velocity and acceleration are known. By plugging in different values for u, a, and t, you can analyze how the object's displacement changes over time.

What insights can be gained from studying the VS ratio 1:2:3:5 in relation to the formula S=u*t+a*t^2/2?

Studying the VS ratio 1:2:3:5 in relation to the formula S=u*t+a*t^2/2 can provide insights into how the displacement of an object changes over time. By analyzing the ratios of displacements at different time intervals, you can understand the acceleration and velocity of the object and how they affect its motion.