General question about E-L in revativity

• Thread starter noamriemer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    General
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of geodesics using different Lagrangians. The speaker asks for clarification on what the Lagrangian depends on and continues to solve for the geodesics using the given metric. They also mention simplifying the equations by using a different Lagrangian.
noamriemer
Hello! I ask this question in this forum because I wish to be given a general explanation.
Hope it is OK

given this metric:
[itex] ds^2= \frac {dt^2} {t^2}- \frac{dx^2} {t^2} [/itex]
I wish to calculate the geodesics.

[itex] S=\int{ \frac {d} {d\lambda} \sqrt{\frac {1} {t^2} \frac {dt^2} {d\lambda^2}- \frac{1} {t^2} \frac {dx^2} {d\lambda^2}}} [/itex]

But [itex] \lambda [/itex] here, is any parameter I choose. Therefore, L does not depend on it (right? )
So now I want to use E-L equations:

[itex] \frac {d}{dλ}\frac {∂L}{∂\dot t}=\frac {\partial L} {∂t},
\frac {d} {dλ}\frac {∂L} {∂\dot x} =\frac {\partial L} {∂x} [/itex]

When [itex] \dot t [/itex] refers to [itex] \frac {dt} {d\lambda} [/itex] etc.
But here I get confused:
What does L depend on?
I'll continue my solution:

[itex]\frac {d} {dλ} 0.5 ({{\frac {{\dot t}^2} {t^2}-\frac {{\dot x}^2} {t^2}}})^{-0.5} 2 \frac {\dot t} {t^2}= \frac {\partial L} {\partial x} [/itex]

As I stated, L does not depend on lambda, and so:

[itex] \frac {d} {d\lambda} {[\frac {\dot t} {t^2}]}^2 = \frac {{\dot t}^2-{\dot x}^2} {t^3} [/itex]
So how am I supposed to derive this? Do I add another dot?
[itex] \frac {d} {d\lambda} \dot t = \ddot t [/itex] ? and do I refer to it as an operator? Meaning- [itex] \ddot t = {\dot t}^2? [/itex]

How do I continue? These calculations on classical mechanics were so trivial to me- but for some reason I get lost in here...
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
noamriemer, There are several different equivalent Lagrangians that may be used to calculate the geodesics. The easiest, I believe, is to use L = gμν dxμ/ds dxν/ds. This eliminates dealing with the square root. So for your case, L = t-2 (dt/ds)2 - t-2 (dx/ds)2. You let t' = dt/ds and x' = dx/ds for short, and write the equations as, for example, d/ds(∂L/∂t') - ∂L/∂t = 0.

1. What is E-L in relativity?

E-L stands for Einstein-Lorentz, which is a mathematical framework used in the theory of special relativity to describe the relationship between space and time.

2. How does E-L in relativity differ from Newtonian mechanics?

E-L in relativity takes into account the effects of gravity and the speed of light, while Newtonian mechanics only considers the effects of gravity.

3. What is the significance of E-L in relativity?

E-L in relativity provides a more accurate and comprehensive understanding of the behavior of objects moving at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields.

4. How is E-L in relativity applied in real-world scenarios?

E-L in relativity has been used to develop technologies such as GPS systems and to make precise measurements in particle accelerators. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of objects in outer space.

5. Are there any limitations to E-L in relativity?

While E-L in relativity has been proven to accurately describe the behavior of objects in many scenarios, it breaks down at the quantum level and cannot fully explain phenomena such as black holes and the behavior of subatomic particles.