1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General question on Differential equations

1. Dec 5, 2007 #1
    I was just wondering...I usually like to get a head start on future classes (as opposed to past classes:rofl:...my own jokes kill me!) and was wondering what kind of material I should realy focus on for differential equations? I feel like I have a pretty firm grasp on the key concepts of calculus through Calculus 2 (this covers up to Taylor/Maclaurin polynomials at my school). But, are there any specific areas of calculus (or other maths) that could give me an edge?

Advice is appreciated. Thanks a bunch,
    Casey

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2007 #2
    Maybe the Diff eqs forum would have been a better spot, eh? :blushing:

4. Dec 5, 2007 #3
    Differential equations is pretty easy compared to multivariable calculus and linear algebra. Exponentials come up everywhere in differential equations so be sure you know every about natural logs and e. Try learning how to solve homogeneous first-order and second-order differential equations with constant coefficients--you need nothing fancy to solve these.

5. Dec 12, 2007 #4
    Thanks ehrenfest, I think I saw some of those in my calcululs text in one of the chapters we didn't cover.

Casey

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?