1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General Solution to Differential Equation?

1. Oct 18, 2011 #1
    Problem Statement

Find the general solution to ty'-4y=(t^6)*(e^t)

Solution Attempt

I added the 4y over and divided by t

y'=[(t^6)(e^t)+4y] / t

I am not sure where to go from here. I'm pretty sure that separation of variables wont work, because I don't think that I can separate the 4y from t.

Now I think I should have just divided through by t and then used integrating factors with [itex]\mu[/itex]=e^(-4ln|t|)=t^-4

Is this correct? Thanks for your help!

EDIT: I've found the solution... It did seem like using integrating factors worked the best. The answer is

y = [(te^t)-(e^t)+c] / (t^-4)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think using that integrating factor is a great idea. Can you finish from there?

4. Oct 18, 2011 #3
    Yup already finished. The problem got much simpler as things began to cancel. I love it when problems work out nicely. Thanks (:

I think the main thing that hung me up was changing gears from studying how to solve differential equations using Laplace Transforms back to using integrating factors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook