Generalized Galilean transformation

In summary, the Galilean coordinate transformation equations for the case of an arbitrary direction for the relative velocity v of one frame with respect to the other are: x'=x-vx t, y'=y-vy t, z'=z-vz t, and t'=t.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

Write the Galilean coordinate transformation equations
for the case of an arbitrary direction for the relative velocity v of one frame with respect to the other. Assume that the corresponding axes of the two frames remain parallel. (Hint: let v have componentsvx, vy, vz.)

Write down the equivalent matrix equation.

Homework Equations

Consider a frame S' moving with uniform velocity v with respect to another inertial frame S.
Then
x'=x- vx t, $$
$$y'=y- vy t, $$
$$z'=z- vz t, $$
$$t' = t

The Attempt at a Solution

The matrix formulation is
$$\begin{pmatrix}
x' \\
y' \\
z'\\
t'
\end{pmatrix} =\begin{pmatrix}
x& -v_x \\
y & -v_y \\
z & -v_z\\
0&1\end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
1 \\
t\\

\end{pmatrix}
$$
Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pushoam said:
Is this right?
I don't think so. Your relevant equations are fine. For a coordinate transformation one expects something of the form $$
\begin{pmatrix}
x' \\
y' \\
z' \\
t'
\end{pmatrix} = M\begin{pmatrix}
x \\
y \\
z \\
t
\end{pmatrix}$$
(compare with the matrix for a simple rotation in 3D, e.g. around the z-axis)

Then,
##\begin{pmatrix}
x' \\
y' \\
z'\\
t'
\end{pmatrix} =\begin{pmatrix}
1&0&0& -v_x \\
0&1&0& -v_y \\
0&0&1 & -v_z\\
0&0&0&1\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}
x \\
y\\
z\\
t

\end{pmatrix}##
Is this correct?
Can you please tell me how to write the matrices side by side?

Last edited:
I think this is what the exercise composer meant, yes.
And the inverse transformation matrix looks the same, except that the minus signs are now plus signs. Good exercise to check that ##M^{-1}M = MM^{-1} = {\mathbb I}##
Pushoam said:
But you did that already in post #1 !

Generally: right-click on a formula and pick show math as ##\TeX## commands :smile:

Likes Pushoam
Thank you.
Pushoam said:
I got it. I need to write" ## "before and after the text command for matrices.

1. What is a Generalized Galilean transformation?

A Generalized Galilean transformation is a mathematical technique used in physics to describe the transformation between different frames of reference in classical mechanics. It is an extension of Galilean transformations, which describe the transformation between two inertial frames of reference.

2. How does a Generalized Galilean transformation differ from a Galilean transformation?

A Generalized Galilean transformation accounts for non-inertial frames of reference, such as those experiencing acceleration or rotation. It also includes additional transformations, such as time dilation and length contraction, that are not present in Galilean transformations.

3. What are the applications of Generalized Galilean transformations?

Generalized Galilean transformations are used in various fields, including mechanics, electromagnetism, and relativity. They are essential for accurately describing the motion and interactions of objects in non-inertial frames of reference. They are also crucial in understanding the effects of acceleration and rotation on physical systems.

4. Can Generalized Galilean transformations be applied to quantum mechanics?

No, Generalized Galilean transformations are only applicable in classical mechanics. In quantum mechanics, the laws of motion are described by the principles of quantum mechanics, which do not follow the same rules as classical mechanics.

5. How do Generalized Galilean transformations relate to the principle of relativity?

The principle of relativity states that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference. Generalized Galilean transformations uphold this principle by allowing for the transformation between non-inertial frames of reference while still preserving the underlying laws of physics.