Does the Galilean transform rely on 2 events?

In summary: I make a mistake and say the left side does not have to equal the right side, then I am wrong and people will be confused.
jimmy4554564
Homework Statement
## ∆x = ∆x′ + v ∆t ##
Relevant Equations
## ∆x = ∆x′ + v ∆t ##
From my limited understanding the Galilean transform has 2 frames but 4 four perspectives. For example x is the stationary frame when using
## ∆x = ∆x′ + v ∆t ## and x' is moving. When using ## ∆x' = ∆x - v ∆t ## and x' is stationary and x is moving.

Now lets use the example of ## ∆x = ∆x′ + v ∆t ## . Delta x' represents the event in (x')'s frame and if the object is moving it will have a time and velocity.
By 2 events I mean ##x'## position and ##v ∆t## represents the second event the first object moving.

Is this explanation correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Or at least it is impossible to tell based on your description.

Two events and their respective coordinates in two different frames are involved. I do not understand what you think would be ”4 perspectives”

Likes topsquark
Take the picture below. ## ∆x = ∆x′ + v ∆t ## . x sees x' moving . I have 2 perspectives here. I kind of just invented the term perceptive. While if I switch to ## ∆x' = ∆x + v ∆t ## x' is stationary and x is moving.
I would also need 2 graphs where velocity is negative and is traveling in the opposite direction and another graph where x was stationary.

So to keep it short perceptive = the number of graphs.

I realize there are 3 graphs but I think 2 of them could be combined in the picture below.
Should I site where I got the picture from?
1672720830667.png

Last edited:
jimmy4554564 said:
Take the picture below. ## ∆x = ∆x′ + v ∆t ## . x sees x' moving . I have 2 perspectives here. I kind of just invented the term perceptive. While if I switch to ## ∆x' = ∆x + v ∆t ## x' is stationary and x is moving.
I would also need 2 graphs where velocity is negative and is traveling in the opposite direction and another graph where x was stationary.

So to keep it short perceptive = the number of graphs.
I don't really understand what you are asking. In this case, we have something like:

Train frame: a passenger is walking down the train - a dispacement of ##\Delta x'## (Perhaps she walked from one seat to another seat on the train. The seats are ##\Delta x'## apart.)

Ground frame: the passenger is moving with the train and walking down the train. In this frame her displacement is ##\Delta x##, which is a combination of the movement of the train and the movement of the passenger relative to the train.

The Galilean transformation allows you to express ##\Delta x## in terms of ##\Delta x'## and the movement of the train, which is ##v \Delta t'##. Your diagram illustrates this:
jimmy4554564 said:
In short:$$\Delta x = v\Delta t' + \Delta x'$$Is that clear?

Likes topsquark
jimmy4554564 said:
I have 2 perspectives here. I kind of just invented the term perceptive.
That is generally going to be a bad idea as nobody else will understand what you are talking about if you do not use accepted terminology.

The images you are showing are illustrating why the transformation takes the form it does. The opposite illustration will just be a redrawing of the same thing.

Likes topsquark
Please correct me if I am wrong but each graph represents a stationary frame when using the graph.

My mistake was assuming one graph is moving and the other is stationary. Instead each graph represents stationary from there perceptive and the other graph is moving.

So basically ## x = x' + vt ## the LHS != RHS. But ## stationary = moving ## and moving becomes stationary when I move ##vt## and vice versa.

Now this confuses me I always thought the left and right side have to be equal
For example ##-1 = -1## but if I am not mistaken in the Galilean transform ## stationary= moving ##, then moving = stationary. How is this possible?I want to repeat I understand that moving and stationary have different values I always thought that an equal sign has to have the same value.

If I made mistakes correct me.

Thank you everyone.

jimmy4554564 said:
Please correct me if I am wrong but each graph represents a stationary frame when using the graph.
Each frame is inertial. Stationary and moving are relative. There is no such thing as an absolutely stationary frame. The surface of the Earth is not absolutely stationary.
jimmy4554564 said:
My mistake was assuming one graph is moving and the other is stationary. Instead each graph represents stationary from there perceptive and the other graph is moving.
Stationary and moving are relative. Think of left and right.
jimmy4554564 said:
So basically ## x = x' + vt ## the LHS != RHS. But ## stationary = moving ## and moving becomes stationary when I move ##vt## and vice versa.

Now this confuses me I always thought the left and right side have to be equal
For example ##-1 = -1## but if I am not mistaken in the Galilean transform ## stationary= moving ##, then moving = stationary. How is this possible?
I don't understand this.
jimmy4554564 said:
I want to repeat I understand that moving and stationary have different values
moving and stationary are relative terns. They are not numbers.

Likes topsquark
PeroK said:
Each frame is inertial. Stationary and moving are relative. There is no such thing as an absolutely stationary frame. The surface of the Earth is not absolutely stationary.
I just meant that in the S frame the y axis and x = 0 represent a stationary frame and the other points are a different frame. This is the same for the S' frame. The S' frame the y' axis and x' = 0 represent a stationary frame and the other points are a different.

PeroK said:
I don't understand this.
I just meant that ## x = x' +vt ## . Lets say the values are ## x' = 5m + (10m/s) (10 sec) ## ## x' = 105m ##.
While ## x' = x - vt ## , ## x = 105m - (10m/s) (10 sec) ## , ## x = 5 m## . I guess my confusion was thinking x is the exact same as x' .

Did I make any mistakes ?

Last edited:
jimmy4554564 said:
I just meant that in the S frame the y axis and x = 0 represent a stationary frame and the other points are a different frame.
Each point is in all frames of reference. The x and y axes are the coordinate axes.
jimmy4554564 said:
This is the same for the S' frame. The S' frame the y' axis and x' = 0 represent a stationary frame and the other points are a different.
The S' frame is moving relative to the S frame.
jimmy4554564 said:
I just meant that ## x = x' +vt ## . Lets say the values are ## x' = 5m + (10m/s) (10 sec) ## ## x' = 105m ##.
While ## x' = x - vt ## , ## x = 105m - (10m/s) (10 sec) ## , ## x = 5 m## . I guess my confusion was thinking x is the exact same as x' .

Did I make any mistakes ?
If the frames are moving relative to each other along the x axis then ##x \ne x'##.

Likes topsquark
Thanks for the help we are in agreement i just worded it a little wonky.

1. What is the Galilean transform?

The Galilean transform is a mathematical formula used to convert coordinates and velocities between two frames of reference in classical mechanics. It was developed by the Italian scientist Galileo Galilei in the 17th century.

2. How does the Galilean transform work?

The Galilean transform relies on two events, typically the starting and ending points of an object's motion, to calculate the relationship between the coordinates and velocities in two frames of reference. It assumes that time and space are absolute and independent of each other.

3. Does the Galilean transform rely on two events in all situations?

No, the Galilean transform is only valid in situations where the relative velocity between the two frames of reference is much smaller than the speed of light. In situations where this is not the case, the more complex theory of relativity must be used.

4. What are the limitations of the Galilean transform?

The Galilean transform does not take into account the effects of gravity or acceleration, and it assumes that time and space are absolute. It also breaks down when dealing with very high speeds, as predicted by Einstein's theory of relativity.

5. How is the Galilean transform used in practical applications?

The Galilean transform is still used in many practical applications, such as in navigation systems and in the analysis of simple mechanical systems. However, in situations where high precision is required, the more accurate theory of relativity must be used.