1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Generate fluted pipe geometry in ANSYS

1. Aug 1, 2017 #1
    I am trying to make a spirally fluted pipe in ANSYS. I made the cross section as in the attached figure and sweeped on a straight line perpendicular to plane of the cross section. However I get a sort of a drill bit instead of the required spirally fluted pipe. Is there an issue with the cross section or the way I sweep ? Also is there in blog/forum for help on ANSYS issues. Thank you very much in advance 18870865_10155077565896253_1621426967_n.jpg 18836287_10155077566996253_707314310_o.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2017 #2
    Thanks for the thread! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post? The more details the better.

4. Aug 7, 2017 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You cross section has a sharp step in it. That looks wrong to me.

5. Aug 7, 2017 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That shape can be generated in several ways but one way is to draw a cross section of one half trough + one full lobe + one half trough and then rotate and translate .

Merge the join line and trim the ends flat to complete .

6. Aug 7, 2017 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try a cross section similar to the valve cam on a car?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted