Generating a rippled voltage supply

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking guidance on how to model a BJT power follower in SPICE. They have posted a schematic of their intended circuit and are looking for advice on how to get a flat output across a range of input frequencies. They also mention wanting a DC output of around 3.3V and using a load that can handle up to 1A of current. The other person suggests DC coupling the output and asks about the specific NPN BJTs to be used in the simulation.
Engineering news on Phys.org
Sure. You want to model a BJT power follower in SPICE? Can you post a copy of your SPICE deck?

im thinking of a schematic like this with vin as a varying sinusoidal input(0-20 Mhz) of amplitude 200mv. I want vout to be reasonably flat across this range.Also at my output id like to have a DC of around 3.3V. It is also worth noting that my load sinks up to 1A of current.Is it worth a shot?

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 464
That's a good start for a circuit to simulate, but I'd DC couple the output (delete C3). Which NPN BJTs were you thinking of simulating?

i see...deleting C3 would let me have AC and DC at the output!
as for the type of NPN to use I am not really sure,right now its trial and error

1. What is a rippled voltage supply?

A rippled voltage supply is a type of power supply that provides a non-constant output voltage, characterized by small fluctuations or "ripples" in the voltage level. This is typically caused by imperfections in the power supply circuitry or external interference.

2. Why is a ripple voltage supply important?

A ripple voltage supply is important because it can affect the performance and reliability of electronic devices that rely on a stable power supply. Excessive ripple can cause malfunctions or even damage to sensitive components.

3. How is a rippled voltage supply generated?

A rippled voltage supply is typically generated using a transformer, rectifier, and filter circuit. The transformer converts the AC input voltage to a lower AC voltage, which is then rectified to DC and filtered to reduce the ripple.

4. What factors can contribute to the amount of ripple in a power supply?

The amount of ripple in a power supply can be affected by various factors, including the quality of the transformer, the design of the rectifier and filter circuit, and external factors such as electromagnetic interference.

5. How can the ripple voltage be reduced in a power supply?

The ripple voltage in a power supply can be reduced by using higher quality components, improving the design of the rectifier and filter circuit, and shielding the power supply from external interference. Additionally, adding a regulator circuit can further reduce the ripple and provide a more stable output voltage.