Generating a rippled voltage supply

In summary, generating a rippled voltage supply involves using a rectifier circuit to convert alternating current (AC) into direct current (DC) and then adding a ripple filter to smooth out any fluctuations in the voltage. This process is commonly used in power supplies to provide a stable and steady voltage output for electronic devices. The ripple filter can consist of capacitors, inductors, or a combination of both, and is designed to reduce the amount of ripple voltage present in the output. The resulting rippled voltage supply is essential for powering sensitive electronic components and ensuring the proper functioning of electronic devices.
taleebe
So I'm trying to do some regulator PSRR tests and for this i'll need a regular DC source with a ripple on it (say 200mv pk-pk) so i can compare this to the ripple at the output and someone suggested this circuit set up to me. My question is about the capacitor, i was told "a signal generator might not be able to handle DC on its output so a capacitor may be needed".First of all I'm not sure if this is true and second of all I'm not sure what it means or how a capacitor would solve this problem,and if it does how to figure out the capacitance to use.

Attachments

• pop-pop.JPG
    pop-pop.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 396
Engineering news on Phys.org
If you directly connect the output of two signal generators, and they are producing different voltages, then very large currents will flow from one to the other. Of course, their limiting circuitry will kick in, and they will essentially turn themselves off.

Instead, you use a capacitor to couple one signal to the other. The capacitor blocks DC current, but permits the passage of AC current. You can use almost any size of capacitor; you just need to make sure that whatever RC filters are created do not significantly attentuate the AC signal you wish to pass.

- Warren

Last edited:
How much power are we talking here? Many signal generators will put out an AC signal with a DC offset. That's what I typically use for PSRR measurements on chips.

hmm! thanks chroot that makes a lot more sense now, berkeman my DUT sinks up to 1A and i want to test PSRR up to 20Mhz. do you think i could just connect my signal generator to my DUT?

taleebe said:
hmm! thanks chroot that makes a lot more sense now, berkeman my DUT sinks up to 1A and i want to test PSRR up to 20Mhz. do you think i could just connect my signal generator to my DUT?

Not at that current. Just use a power BJT as a follower (that's what we do for higher power) -- 20MHz is pretty fast, but could probably be done.

berkeman said:
Not at that current. Just use a power BJT as a follower (that's what we do for higher power) -- 20MHz is pretty fast, but could probably be done.

this has been suggested to me before, but i never understood the operating conditions(biasing etc) or connections (besides driving the base with the signal generator)or what specifications to look at in a BJT that would suggest it could work at the Mhz range

I admit that 20MHz is pretty dang fast for a power follower, but it should be do-able. If I have time, I'll do a couple SPICE runs on typical power BJT candidates, and see what their 200mV banwidth looks like across frequency.

EDIT -- What are the DUT's characteristics? You mentioned up to 1A of current -- what is the supply voltage that you want, and how much does the DUT current vary? You'll be removing any decoupling capacitance from the DUT for this test, correct? Without the extra decoupling capacitance, how much capacitance will the supply circuit see across the DUT?

Last edited:
berkeman said:
I admit that 20MHz is pretty dang fast for a power follower, but it should be do-able. If I have time, I'll do a couple SPICE runs on typical power BJT candidates, and see what their 200mV banwidth looks like across frequency.

EDIT -- What are the DUT's characteristics? You mentioned up to 1A of current -- what is the supply voltage that you want, and how much does the DUT current vary? You'll be removing any decoupling capacitance from the DUT for this test, correct? Without the extra decoupling capacitance, how much capacitance will the supply circuit see across the DUT?

a supply voltage of around 3.3 V, DUT current varies from 600mA-1A.the capacitance seen by the supply circuit were not given but before all of that could you please explain rudimentary power follower circuits

An emitter follower is when you use an NPN transistor to give you current gain with approximately unity voltage gain (the emitter voltage "follows" the base voltage, minus a Vbe drop):

http://www.ece.osu.edu/ee327/Figures/emitter_follower_schem.gif

The signal you put into the base shows up at the emitter, but you have about Beta times more current available from the NPN transistor than from the source driving its base. It has relatively good bandwidth, but you can see it is uni-directional in supplying current, so the load or extra emitter resistors to ground would be what pulls the voltage back down as the base signal is going down. That's why you want very little load capacitance, and a knowledge of the load current.

So that would be the type of cirtcuit that I would simulate first (but I honestly don't know if I have time), using some real-world power NPN BJTs that would be good starting candidates. If the low-going bandwidth were a problem, I'd look at doing more of a class-C power amp arrangement, with two opposing BJTs and appropriate biasing.

Last edited by a moderator:
The capacitor should block the DC offset, that's kind of what caps do(block dc).
It depends on the frequency you are looking to do, but you'll probably want to use a very small capacitance value, otherwise you'll start dropping the ac output across the cap.

Also in your other thread I noticed you were asking about the second connection from the signal generator. Several signal generator I've seen have bnc(coax) output port, in this case the shell is the reference and the center is the signal.

Another option to a transistor may be an op-amp, just make sure you check the gain bandwidth product(I can't remember typical values but I think you should be okay).

Odin42 said:
The capacitor should block the DC offset, that's kind of what caps do(block dc).
It depends on the frequency you are looking to do, but you'll probably want to use a very small capacitance value, otherwise you'll start dropping the ac output across the cap.

Also in your other thread I noticed you were asking about the second connection from the signal generator. Several signal generator I've seen have bnc(coax) output port, in this case the shell is the reference and the center is the signal.

Another option to a transistor may be an op-amp, just make sure you check the gain bandwidth product(I can't remember typical values but I think you should be okay).

Ok,thanks a lot for responding

so if the center is the signal can i still slide it in my configuration somehow?

I've been looking everywhere for an op amp that is unity gain stable up to 20MHz and can source up to 1A.

I'd say put the center contact to the cap and the bnc shell to the resistor (even though this is all moot once you add an amplified(be it transistor or op-amp) to the circuit)

Odin42 said:
I'd say put the center contact to the cap and the bnc shell to the resistor (even though this is all moot once you add an amplified(be it transistor or op-amp) to the circuit)

will this work

Attachments

• 800px-Banana_plug_adapter.JPG
    800px-Banana_plug_adapter.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 453
Probably, measure resistence from the center and the shell to the posts. If the shell goes to one and the center goes to the other then that should work. But as previously mentioned, I doubt the signal generator can source 1A.

taleebe said:
I've been looking everywhere for an op amp that is unity gain stable up to 20MHz and can source up to 1A.

Yeah, that's not an opamp. That' a low RF power amp.

1. What is a rippled voltage supply?

A rippled voltage supply is an electrical power source that produces an output voltage with small fluctuations or "ripples" on top of the desired voltage level. These ripples can be caused by various factors such as AC power supply fluctuations, component tolerances, and circuit design.

2. Why is a rippled voltage supply important?

A rippled voltage supply is important because it affects the stability and performance of electronic devices that require a consistent and steady power supply. Ripples can cause malfunctions, inaccuracies, and even damage to sensitive components.

3. How is a rippled voltage supply generated?

A rippled voltage supply can be generated using various methods, including using a rectifier circuit, a voltage regulator, or a filtering circuit. These methods involve converting AC power to DC power, regulating the voltage level, and smoothing out any ripples using capacitors or filters.

4. What are the potential issues with a rippled voltage supply?

Some potential issues with a rippled voltage supply include excessive ripple voltage, which can affect the performance of electronic devices, and inadequate filtering, which can lead to noise interference and instability. In extreme cases, a rippled voltage supply can also cause damage to components or cause fires.

5. How can a rippled voltage supply be improved?

To improve a rippled voltage supply, one can use better quality components, implement proper circuit design techniques, and add additional filtering or regulation stages. It is also important to regularly monitor and maintain the power supply to ensure that it is functioning properly and to prevent any potential issues.