Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Genius Movies

1. May 29, 2008 #1
    Does anyone have those corny genius movies or ones where a student works really hard to succeed. Things like A Beautiful Mind and Good Will Hunting.

I'd likd some that are modern, ie. atleast made since 1990s and preferably 2000s.

I need some inspiration now is all =)

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2008 #2
    Dark Matter (2008)

I've never seen it but supposedly it's good.

4. May 29, 2008 #3
    I can't think of any in the 90's or past, but probably my favorite genius movie is the one about the real life savant, Kim Peek. 'Rain Man'

The other two are The Real Genius with Val Kilmer, and another one from the 80's that I haven't been able to find the name of since then. If I remember correctly it was about about a smart kid who went on to build a large-yield bomb just to see if he could. The government ended up coming after him with fairly dramatic ending. The only other thing I remember is that the design for the bomb looked like a soccerball... I also remember a young girl helping him with some of it. If anyone remembers it, please let me know!

5. May 29, 2008 #4
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091472/

here's another 'genius' movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102316/usercomments

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  6. May 29, 2008 #5
    That's it! Thanks rewebster. I think I kept getting it confused with the Philadelphia Experiment.

7. May 29, 2008 #6

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Ditto on Real Genius. Fun movie, and not that far off from my undergrad days. LOL

I really like Amadeus -- don't know if you're looking for movies made recently, or about recent people.

I also like Searching for Bobby Fisher. It's a real story, BTW.

8. May 29, 2008 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've seen it and it's not. Well...you might be able to enjoy it if you don't actually work in physics.

9. May 29, 2008 #8
    Amadeus was good, but its not the kind of thing I'm looking for. I am looking for movies made relatively recently (1990-present), and about a math wiz. Stuff like 21 or Beautiful Mind. The reason I emphasize recent is because technology has made recent movies more entertaining. I love old movies, but I am not in the mood for them right now.

10. May 29, 2008 #9
    Real Genius had lots of technology in it. It's what the movie was about.

11. May 29, 2008 #10
    "Proof"

This is a pretty good movie.

"A former student (Jake Gyllenhaal) of a recently deceased, brilliant mathematician (Anthony Hopkins) finds a notebook in his office containing a proof of an important theorem, but the mathematician's 27-year-old daughter (Gwyneth Paltrow) claims it is hers. The ensuing dispute is complicated by a burgeoning romance and signs that she may have inherited her father's mental illness."

12. May 29, 2008 #11
    I mean technology has made our movies more entertaining... higher quality sound and better visuals. I don't mean movies about technology.

13. May 29, 2008 #12
    I've never heard of a movie where anyone works really hard to succeed academically and they actually achieve success. Good Will Hunting and A Beautiful Mind are exactly the opposite of that and I think that is perhaps why people love them. Movie-goers don't actually want to see really smart people but not all the hard work it takes to become one.

14. May 29, 2008 #13

he wasn't a student, but worked hard and succeeded:

ROCKY

15. May 30, 2008 #14
  16. May 30, 2008 #15
    and PI

17. May 30, 2008 #16
    When I saw a re-run of "Infinity" a few years ago, I was really hoping it was going to be more about his earlier years, and seeing his 'thinking processes' develop. Instead it was more of a 'love story'.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116635/

18. May 30, 2008 #17
  19. May 30, 2008 #18

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I completely disagree. I think the emphasis on technology has been at the expense of good writing. Producers these days are convinced that people will happily pay money to see all sorts of trash if it has enough sound and visuals to dazzle them. Unfortunately, the producers are right.

20. May 30, 2008 #19
    OK, the main character isn't a genius per se, but Radio is a great movie, very inspirational.

21. May 30, 2008 #20
    trainspotting, best film ever.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?