Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

'Genius' videos may hinder baby development: study

1. Aug 9, 2007 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070809/tv_nm/babies_videos_dc;_ylt=Aj2GDmNDPzJwhL1Ek5UPDQADW7oF

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2007 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm pretty sure that simply interacting with and playing with your baby are the best possible ways of aiding their development. But I'm not a parent.

- Warren

4. Aug 9, 2007 #3

Evo

Why would you waste time playing with your baby when you can sit it in front of the tv and pop in a video that will talk to it and guarantees to make it smart?

Of course I'm joking.

5. Aug 9, 2007 #4
    does anybody else get the impression that all these surveys and double-blind studies (so and so reduces the risk of getting so and so) are based on nothing more than statistical flukes supporting near-random speculation... there's nothing scientific about them, they just seem like a waste of time and money

6. Aug 9, 2007 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Baby brains are big business.
    http://www.educationsector.org/analysis/analysis_show.htm?doc_id=469729
    That study is going to make some corporations pretty unhappy.

7. Aug 9, 2007 #6

Evo

That was very interesting MIH, so why don't we see more about why these things are shams?

It's disgusting how people take advantage of people's fears that they're aren't good parents or the dim wits that think they can buy intelligence for their kid.

A video or cd can't interact with a child, it can't tell if the child is paying attention or has fallen asleep, it's idiotic.

I remember when I had my first child, I was bombarded with advertisements telling me that a mobile had to have specific symbols/colors/shapes or my child would be brain damaged. The things were hideously ugly, no self respecting baby would look at one. I bought one with little stuffed animals because I liked watching it. :!!)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2007
  8. Aug 9, 2007 #7

Astronuc

Somehow we missed all that.

We simply read to our children. First with picture books and then with words.

I liked the books by Dr. Seuss and P. D. Eastman, and Sesame Street books. I used to do the voices of the different Sesame Street characters. Bert's was somewhat challenging.

My kids started school reading well ahead of others by about a grade or more.

9. Aug 9, 2007 #8

Evo

Richard Scarry books were the best. :!!) :!!) :!!)

10. Aug 10, 2007 #9

Astronuc

Yep. I forgot those. We had Busy Town and several others.

My son would search each page for Lowly Worm.

11. Aug 13, 2007 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's a shame the article doesn't discuss HOW the videos are used in each home. Of course, if you just plunk your kid down in front of a TV for all their waking hours, it doesn't matter what is on the TV, they aren't getting the sort of reinforcement and social interaction from their parents that they require for learning. But, that doesn't necessarily mean those videos can't be used as a learning tool when accompanied by a parent who is reinforcing the language development for names of a broader range of objects presented than you might encounter every day.

It does make sense that over-use would be bad. If you're substituting exploration of the actual world around them with videos, of course kids will have less presented to them to learn.

12. Aug 21, 2007 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Getting ugly..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_Einstein

13. Aug 22, 2007 #12

Astronuc

Baby Einsteins: Not So Smart After All
    http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1650352,00.html
    When I was an infant, we didn't have TV. I don't remember TV until I was about 6. My parents read to me, and I read to my kids.

I spent most of my time outside, and when inside, I listed to BBC or ABC (Australian Broadcasting Company) on my dad's radio/stereo.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?