Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geodesic transport of a small 2D surface on a 3D manifold.

1. Aug 16, 2015 #1
    Hello,
    I've just read and I think I have understood the following result :
    If we were to geodesically transport all points of a small 2D surface, so small that it would be flat for all purposes, in a direction vertically above it, and if this surface belongs in an arbitrary 3D manifold, then in general both its area and its shape will change. It is impossible to achieve a change in shape without its area to dwindle or expand simultaneously. And this is a property of the so-called Weyl tensor.
    I can somehow visualize how this is happening without recourse to advanced maths, but what a great result this is!
    In a 4D manifold, it is also true that the object can retain its volume even if the tidal forces (curvature) change its shape, but not in any lower dimension than 4.
    I have nothing more to ask, just to verify if this is true. What a great result! If it is true, it is a moment of revelation and enlightening for me.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2015 #2

Mentz114

Gold Member

Yes, but where did you read it ?

4. Aug 16, 2015 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook