Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometric area integration of 1/x

1. May 31, 2009 #1

morrobay

Gold Member

given:
    ln (x) = integral 1/t dt
    from 1 to x
    and x=30

Without a calculator and only a graph of y=1/x
    How could you show that this geometric area under this curve (with any type of unit)
    is equal to 3.4 area units, the ln (30)

not homework, I am looking for a tangible/physical example of above definition

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm not sure what you question is. If there were a purely geometric way to show that the area under y= 1/x, from x= 1 to x= 30, we wouldn't need integral calculus!

You could, of course, approximate it, using "Rieman sums". If we divide the x-axis, from x= 1 to x= 30, into N equal intervals, the right end of each interval is x= 1+ 29i/N with i from 1 to 30 and each interval has length 29/N. If we set up a rectangle with f(x)= f(1+ i/30)= 1/(1+ i/30)= 30/(i+30), then the area of each rectangle is (30/(i+ 30))(29/N). The area under the curve, then, is approximated by [itex]\sum 30(29)/(N(i+ 30)[/itex]. I suppose you could do that without using a calculator but I wouldn't want to! I will stick with calculus.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook