Geometric description of a kernel

In summary, To determine the geometric description of the kernel and range of a linear transformation T:R^{3} \rightarrow R^{3}, one must consider the dimensions and determine if they are trivial or not. The kernel and range are both subspaces, with the possibility of being {(0,0,0)}, a line, a plane, or all of R3.
eyehategod
let T:R[tex]^{3}[/tex] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] R[tex]^{3}[/tex] be a linear transformation.
how can i figure out a geometric description of the kernel and range of T. What do I have to look at?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's pretty vague. Thinking about dimensions would be a good start.

eyehategod said:
let T:R[tex]^{3}[/tex] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] R[tex]^{3}[/tex] be a linear transformation.
how can i figure out a geometric description of the kernel and range of T. What do I have to look at?
For a general linear transformation, about the most you can say are that the kernel and range are both subspaces (if they are not trivial). For different the kernel might be {(0,0,0)}, a line through (0,0,0), a plane through (0,0,0), or all of R3. Same for the range.

What is a kernel in geometric description?

A kernel in geometric description refers to the essential or fundamental part of a geometric shape or figure. It is the central or core component that defines the overall structure.

How is a kernel represented in geometric description?

A kernel is often represented as a point or a set of points in geometric description. It can also be represented as a single line or curve that connects multiple points together.

What is the purpose of a kernel in geometric description?

The purpose of a kernel in geometric description is to provide a reference point for the rest of the shape. It helps to define the size, proportions, and spatial relationships within the shape.

Can a kernel be modified in geometric description?

Yes, a kernel can be modified in geometric description. By changing the position or properties of the kernel, the entire shape can be transformed or adjusted accordingly.

What are some common examples of kernels in geometric description?

Some common examples of kernels in geometric description include the center point of a circle, the vertex of a triangle, and the origin point in a coordinate system.