1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometric description of the nullspace

1. Nov 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    general form of solutions to Ax=b
    Consider matrix A=
    {[ 2 -10 6 ]
    [ 4 -20 12 ]
    [ 1 -5 3 ]}
    Find a basis for the nullspace of A. Give a geometric description of the nullspace of A.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the basis for the nullspace of A to be
    {[-3 5]
    [0 1 ]
    [1 0 ]}
    The thing i dont understand is how to give a geometric description of the nullspace of A. If someone could help to explain how i would start to go about doing this that would be awesome because i'm not quite sure i understand the question.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2009 #2
    Are you saying that your null space is spanned by {-3, 0, 1} and {5, 1, 0}? Your notation is a bit confusion to me; but I believe that they are asking you to describe what kind of "Space" this is. What do two vectors span?

4. Nov 8, 2009 #3
    I was trying to say that the vectors {-3,0,1} and {5,1,0} form the basis for the nullspace of A and that i'm not seeing how to give a geometric description of the nullspace of A.

5. Nov 8, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

How many linearly independent vectors does it take to span a line? A plane? A three-dimensional space?

6. Nov 8, 2009 #5
    one linearly independent vector to span a line, two linearly independent vectors to span a plane, and 3 linearly independent vectors to span a 3-dimensional space, and so forth any n vectors that span an n-dimensional space are going to be linearly independent. So i see i'm going to have 2 linearly independent vectors and therefore the dim(W) is going to be 2 dimensional like i thought. Question: Can the vectors ever be identical say that v1=v2

7. Nov 8, 2009 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Linearly independent vectors can't be identical or even multiples of one another.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook