1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nullspaces relation between components and overall matrix

1. May 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If matrix ## C = \left[ {\begin{array}{c} A \\ B \ \end{array} } \right]## then how is N(C), the nullspace of C, related to N(A) and N(B)?

2. Relevant equations
    Ax = 0; x = N(A)

3. The attempt at a solution
    First, I thought that the relation between A and B with C is ## C = A + B ## so then I thought that ## N(C) = N(A) + N(B) ##.
    But when I checked the solution it said N(C) = N(A) ∩ N(B)
    and the only explanation is that ## Cx = \left[ {\begin{array}{c} Ax \\ Bx \ \end{array} } \right] = 0. ##
    Can someone explain the solution to me?

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2015 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure why you aren't getting the explanation. If ##\left[ \begin{array}{c} Ax \\ Bx \ \end{array} \right]## is the zero vector doesn't that mean that BOTH ##Ax## and ##Bx## must be zero vectors? Not just one or the other? ##C## isn't equal to ##A+B##, it's equal to ##\left[ \begin{array}{c} A\\ 0 \ \end{array} \right]+\left[ \begin{array}{c} 0 \\ B \ \end{array} \right]##. Even if it were the null space of ##A+B## is not equal to the null space of ##A## plus the null space of ##B##.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  4. May 19, 2015 #3
    I didn't understand how they went from ## Cx = \left[ {\begin{array}{c} Ax \\ Bx \ \end{array} } \right] = 0 ## to how N(C) is the intersection of N(A) and N(B). I just saw that the nullspaces were zero, but doesn't all nullspaces contain zero.

After some more thought, I did manage to visualize it if I use row vectors for ## A = \left[ {\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 1 \ \end{array} } \right] ## and ## B = \left[ {\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 2 \ \end{array} } \right] ##.
    Then ## N(A) = \left[ {\begin{array}{c} 1 \\ -1 \ \end{array} } \right] ## and ## N(B) = \left[ {\begin{array}{c} 2 \\ -1 \ \end{array} } \right] ##. If I think of the nullspace as column vectors, then it's easier to visualize the nullspaces, and that they are perpendicular to the original matrix and intersect at 0.
    When I make C, it would be ## \left[ {\begin{array}{cc} 1 & 1 \\ 1 & 2 \ \end{array} } \right] ## and ## N(C) = \left[ {\begin{array}{c} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \ \end{array} } \right] ##, the intersection of N(A) and N(B). Is this example right?

When I try to picture a plane though, I don't know how to define a plane in matrix notation and would the nullspace be a second plane with a normal vector orthogonal to the first plane's normal vector?

5. May 20, 2015 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't have to visualize it that precisely. If ##x## is the nullspace of ##C##, then ##Cx=\left[ {\begin{array}{cc} Ax \\ Bx \ \end{array} } \right]=\left[ {\begin{array}{cc} 0 \\ 0 \ \end{array} } \right]##, right? Doesn't that mean ##Ax=0## and ##Bx=0##? And doesn't that mean the ##x## is in the nullspace of both ##A## and ##B##?

6. May 20, 2015 #5
    Ah, I see.
    Then, ## C*N(A) = \left[ {\begin{array}{c} A*N(A)\\ B*N(A) \ \end{array} } \right]=\left[ {\begin{array}{c} 0 \\ n \ \end{array} } \right] ##.
    And ## C*N(B) = \left[ {\begin{array}{c} A*N(B)\\ B*N(B) \ \end{array} } \right]=\left[ {\begin{array}{c} n \\ 0 \ \end{array} } \right] ##.
    n can be some non-zero numbers.
    So in order to make ##\left[ {\begin{array}{c} 0 \\ 0 \ \end{array} } \right] ##, C has to be multiply by something that exists in both N(A) and N(B), the intersection point of the two, and that is x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted