1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometric interpetation of a complex number in R^2

1. Sep 5, 2006 #1
    For this problem i am given two complex numbers [tex]Z_1 , Z_2[/tex] and then a third which is the sum of the first two complex numbers [tex] Z_3 [/tex]. I am then asked to find the geometric interpetation of these numbers in [tex] \mathbb{R}^2 [/tex]. I am fine when graphing them in the complex plane but unsure of what they look like in [tex] \mathbb{R}^2 [/tex]. Do I just take the real part and graph a point in the [tex] \mathbb{R}^2 [/tex]? If so how do I determine which axis it would be on? Do you think this might be a typo?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The standard "complex plane" is to plot the complex number a+ bi as the point (a, b). That is, the x-axis is the "real axis" and the y-axis is the "imaginary axis". It might occur to you that the sum of complex numbers, (a+ bi)+ (c+ di)= (a+c)+ (b+d)i looks a lot like (a+c, b+d), the sum of vectors. And that might lead you to think about a parallelogram.

4. Sep 5, 2006 #3

Yes, I understand that the complex numbers add like vectors. However, what I am confused about is that I thought that to graph them they needed to be in the complex plane. Like you said the x-axis is the real and the y-axis is the imaginary. When I look at the complex number (a+bi) and consider where that would be on R^2, I get confused.

So if I get what your saying then the complex number (a+bi) would just be the vector (a,b) in R^2? Am I overthinking this?

5. Sep 5, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that's exactly what I am saying!

6. Sep 5, 2006 #5
    Ok I think I got it then. Thanks HallsofIvy!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?