Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometry in spherical coordinate

1. May 26, 2009 #1
    Hi all:

I am wondering if there is any book or course note about the geometry in spherical coordinate. Not just the superficial definition and the convertion with Euclidean coordinate. But something like how a line is defined in spherical coordinate in 3D space, how a plane is defined, how to calculate the distance between a 3D point and a plane both in spherical coordinates. Also, the geometry calculus in spherical coordinates.

Is anyone aware of such things please?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't understand what you are asking. A line or plane is defined without regard to coordinates. Do you mean the general equations of line or plane?

4. May 26, 2009 #3
    I mean what's they expression of plane and line in the spherical coordinates. For example, the line is defined as something like [tex]{\bf v} = {\bf v}_0 + t\cdot {\bf n}[/tex]. But here [tex]{\bf v} = (v_x, v_y, v_z)[/tex], i.e. cartesian coordinate. How can a plane and line be expressed in the spherical coordinate form, i.e. [tex](\rho, \theta, \phi)[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook