1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Geometry problem involving dot/cross product

1. Sep 28, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let r be a line and pi be a plane with equations
    r: P + tv
    pi: Q + hu + kw (v, u, w are vectors)
    Assume v · (u x w) = 0. Show that either r ∩ pi = zero vector or r belongs to pi.

2. Relevant equations
    n/a

3. The attempt at a solution
    I get the basic idea behind it but I'm not sure if my "solution" is formally good enough. I know that cross product gives you a normal to a plane, which is u x w here. I also know that the dot product = 0 means that they are perpendicular to each other.. so v and (u x w) are perpendicular to each other. If you draw it out, you can clearly see that r must be either in pi or out of pi. Is this good enough to warrant a good mark? Thanks!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

if r is parallel to pi, but not "in" pi their intersection will not be the zero vector, it will be the empty set

try the separate cases when P is "in" pi, and when P is not "in" pi and try and see if you can show whether any arbitrary point on r is in, or not in P, knowing that v = a.(uXw) where a is some non-zero constant

4. Sep 29, 2009 #3
    you are right, my mistake

I can show that with intuition and a sketch of plane/line but not sure how I should go about proving it formally.. maybe this Q is that simple and I'm overreacting

5. Sep 29, 2009 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

as you know
    v.(u x w) = 0

then
    v = au + bw
    for constants a & b - why?

equation of you line is P + vt

now, i haven't tried, but using your equation of a line & the equation of a plane, considering the following cases, should show what you want:

Case 1 - P is a point in pi. Now show any other point on the line, using the line equation, satisfies the equation defining pi.

Case 2 - P is not a point in pi. Now show any other point on the line, using the line equation, does not satisfy the equation defining pi.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook