Confusion about Differential Geometry Books

In summary, the conversation discusses two recommended books on differential geometry, "Elementary Differential Geometry" and "Semi-Riemannian Geometry with Applications to Relativity", both written by the same author, Barret O'Neill. The initial poster is interested in reading these books, but is unsure if they need to be read in a specific order. They also mention that "Semi-Riemannian Geometry" seems to be bursting with interesting content. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the prerequisites for understanding these books. It is mentioned that the "Elementary" text is an entry-level text and a prerequisite for the "Semi-Riemannian" text. The conversation ends with the question of whether one can successfully work through these
Falgun
I was just browsing through the textbooks forum a few days ago when I came across a post on differential geometry books.
Among the others these two books by the same author seem to be the most widely recommended:

1. Elementary Differential Geometry (Barret O' Neill)
  2. Semi-Riemannian Geometry with applications to relativity (Barret O'Neill)
I don't know when or if I'll get the time but I think differential geometry is really cool stuff , also it is kind of an inspiration to be able to understand it in the future.
2 seemed to be bursting with cool stuff. But I am in doubt whether 1 is a prerequisite for 2 or can I jump in directly? Have you used any of them?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
If you’re interested in General Relativity then books on GR such as Wheeler‘s Gravitation book have chapters on DG to get you up to speed.

jedishrfu said:
If you’re interested in General Relativity then books on GR such as Wheeler‘s Gravitation book have chapters on DG to get you up to speed.
Thanks for replying.
I am interested in Differential geometry for the sake of differential geomtery.

You can read samples from Google books.
I pasted the first two pages of each table of contents.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Elementary_Differential_Geometry/HrriBQAAQBAJ?gbpv=1
1625937598463.png

https://www.google.com/books/editio...try_With_Applicatio/CGk1eRSjFIIC?hl=en&gbpv=1
1625938029088.png

robphy said:
I think you misunderstood the question . I am not qualified enough to judge which book is an entry level text and which is not. If you check the original post you'll see that I say the 2nd book is cool. I had already seen the table of contents before I posted. Since both books were written by the same author I am confused whether they have to be read in a particular order. Both have almost minimal prerequisites as quoted in their prefaces but there is the matter of "mathematical maturity". Can one profitably work through one of these on their own without ripping out their hair? Someone who is way more experienced than me can probably clarify for me. Thanks for the reply anyway.:smile:

Falgun said:
I think you misunderstood the question . I am not qualified enough to judge which book is an entry level text and which is not. If you check the original post you'll see that I say the 2nd book is cool. I had already seen the table of contents before I posted. Since both books were written by the same author I am confused whether they have to be read in a particular order. Both have almost minimal prerequisites as quoted in their prefaces but there is the matter of "mathematical maturity". Can one profitably work through one of these on their own without ripping out their hair? Someone who is way more experienced than me can probably clarify for me. Thanks for the reply anyway.:smile:

From the chapter headings,
those in the "Elementary Differential Geometry" text look to be entry level
since words like "calculus, surface" are likely more familiar than "manifolds and tensors".
The last chapter is called "Riemannian Geometry".
In the Semi-Riemannian text, "Riemannian" and "Semi-Riemannian" (a variant of Riemannian) are in the Ch3 titles and onward.
So, from looking at the table of contents, I think the titles are appropriate.
The "Elementary" text is a pre-requisite to the "Semi-Riemannian" text.

From reading the introduction and preface,
the Elementary one says
"This book presupposes a reasonable knowledge of elementary calculus and
linear algebra. It is a working knowledge of the fundamentals that is
actually required. The reader will, for example, frequently be called upon
to use the chain rule for differentiation, but its proof need not concern us."

the Semi-Riemmanian one says
"The basic prerequisites for the book are modest: a good working knowledge
of multivariable differential calculus, in f‌irm belief in the existence
and uniqueness theorems of ordinary differential equations, and an
acquaintance with the fundamentals of point set topology and algebra.
Later on. a knowledge of fundamental groups, covering spaces, and Lie groups
is required..."

• Love
Likes mathwonk
Falgun said:
Can one profitably work through one of these on their own without ripping out their hair?
One can, but I am guessing you want to know if you can. How could we possibly know?! We don't know you.

robphy said:
From the chapter headings,
those in the "Elementary Differential Geometry" text look to be entry level
since words like "calculus, surface" are likely more familiar than "manifolds and tensors".
The last chapter is called "Riemannian Geometry".
In the Semi-Riemannian text, "Riemannian" and "Semi-Riemannian" (a variant of Riemannian) are in the Ch3 titles and onward.
So, from looking at the table of contents, I think the titles are appropriate.
The "Elementary" text is a pre-requisite to the "Semi-Riemannian" text.

From reading the introduction and preface,
the Elementary one says
"This book presupposes a reasonable knowledge of elementary calculus and
linear algebra. It is a working knowledge of the fundamentals that is
actually required. The reader will, for example, frequently be called upon
to use the chain rule for differentiation, but its proof need not concern us."

the Semi-Riemmanian one says
"The basic prerequisites for the book are modest: a good working knowledge
of multivariable differential calculus, in f‌irm belief in the existence
and uniqueness theorems of ordinary differential equations, and an
acquaintance with the fundamentals of point set topology and algebra.
Later on. a knowledge of fundamental groups, covering spaces, and Lie groups
is required..."
Thanks a lot that answers my question

martinbn said:
One can, but I am guessing you want to know if you can. How could we possibly know?! We don't know you.
I was hoping for a generic answer. For example most people won't start studying a field with a book which is considered a "classic" (that's the impression I got for the 2nd book anyway) they'll rather look around for a standard introductory textbook. I was just considered about the reading order. Anyway I'll try read a chapter or two and let you know what works for me.

My suspicion is the one with Elementary in the title is the introductory book and the other is more advanced for GR and beyond.

Likes mathwonk
I'd read the "Elementary" book first, since it starts with more concrete topics (curves and surfaces in 3-space).

Likes Falgun

What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of curves and surfaces in space. It uses techniques from calculus and linear algebra to understand the geometric properties of these objects.

What are some common books on differential geometry?

Some commonly used books on differential geometry include "Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces" by Manfredo do Carmo, "Elementary Differential Geometry" by Andrew Pressley, and "Differential Geometry: Bundles, Connections, Metrics and Curvature" by Clifford Henry Taubes.

What are the main differences between these books?

The main differences between these books lie in their level of rigor, the topics covered, and the intended audience. "Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces" is a more introductory text, while "Elementary Differential Geometry" is a more advanced text. "Differential Geometry: Bundles, Connections, Metrics and Curvature" is geared towards graduate students and researchers.

Which book is best for beginners?

For beginners, "Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces" by Manfredo do Carmo is a good choice. It introduces the main concepts and techniques of differential geometry in a clear and accessible manner.

Which book is best for advanced students or researchers?

For advanced students or researchers, "Differential Geometry: Bundles, Connections, Metrics and Curvature" by Clifford Henry Taubes is a comprehensive and rigorous text that covers a wide range of topics in differential geometry.