Get my second bachelor's or go for Phd?

In summary: It's also important to think about your long-term career goals. Consider what a good engineering degree would do for you. It would give you the skills you need to work in that industry.I think it's prudent to get a second bachelor's degree to make sure you have all the necessary skills. It would also give you a better foundation for a career in engineering.That's also a good idea. A second bachelor's would give you the skills you need to work in engineering, and it would also give you the experience you need to be a successful engineer.
EternusVia
Hi all,

I've asked for a lot of academic guidance before, so thanks for all the advice up to this point and going forward.

Here's the background: I'll be graduating this coming May with a double major in mathematics and computer science. My true passion tends to lie with engineering and physics, however. I would love to work as an engineer in the space industry (e.g., SpaceX).

Here's my question: Should I go for an engineering PhD, or should I go back and get a second bachelor's in engineering?

Here are the details:
Getting the engineering PhD is feasible. I've talked to a few schools and they will take you, although you have to take prerequisite courses. Other schools say they won't take you because you lack too many courses. On the other hand, getting a second bachelor's degree would prepare me well and fill in all the gaps. After the second bachelor's, I could go for a master's or PhD (provided I'm not living on crumbs at that point).

The PhD route keeps my momentum and at least gives me a chance at getting funding, thus ostensibly reducing cost. The bachelor's route raises my cost but provides what I see as a more secure route towards a job in engineering.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Only a guess, but I think it likely that commercial space industry might prefer candidates with a well established engineering skill to a brilliant theoretician.
The simplest way to find out is contact them directly and just to ask them what they are looking for.

rootone said:
Only a guess, but I think it likely that commercial space industry might prefer candidates with a well established engineering skill to a brilliant theoretician.
The simplest way to find out is contact them directly and just to ask them what they are looking for.

That's probably true.

1. Should I pursue a second bachelor's degree or go for a Phd?

It ultimately depends on your career goals and interests. A second bachelor's degree may be more beneficial if you want to specialize in a different field or gain additional knowledge and skills. On the other hand, a Phd is necessary if you want to pursue a career in research or academia.

2. What are the advantages of getting a second bachelor's degree?

A second bachelor's degree can provide you with a strong foundation in a different field, allowing you to switch careers or advance in your current field. It also shows employers that you are a well-rounded individual with a diverse skill set.

3. How does a Phd differ from a second bachelor's degree?

A Phd is a more advanced degree that requires original research and a dissertation. It typically takes longer to complete and is more focused on a specific area of study. A second bachelor's degree, on the other hand, is more general and may not require a research component.

4. Can I apply my credits from my first bachelor's degree towards a second bachelor's degree or a Phd?

Yes, it is possible to transfer credits from your first bachelor's degree towards a second bachelor's degree or a Phd. However, the specific requirements and transfer policies vary between institutions, so it is best to check with the school you plan to attend.

5. Will having a second bachelor's degree or a Phd increase my earning potential?

Having a second bachelor's degree or a Phd can potentially increase your earning potential, as it demonstrates a higher level of education and expertise. However, it ultimately depends on the job market and the specific field you are pursuing.