Get vibration frequency form absorption spectra line

In summary, the conversation discusses the absorption spectra of gaseous HCl, specifically a line at 3.5 μm that results from molecular vibration. The question asks for the frequency of this vibration, and the answer is that the wavelength of the absorbed radiation is 3.5 μm. Another question asks about the temperature needed to excite these vibrations thermally, and the answer is unclear due to a lack of relevant information or equations.
want2graduate

Homework Statement

[/B]
"Absorption spectra of gaeous HCl show a line at 3.5 μm which results form molecular vibration (oscillation from interatomic distance)" How do I get the frequency of vibration from this?

Homework Equations

? If I knew this, then I could probably solve the problem

The Attempt at a Solution

Is the wavelength 3.5μm? I don't see a relevant explanation in my book (An Introduction to Thermal Physics).

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the fact that the absorption line is at 3.5 μm means that the wavelength of the absorbed radiation is 3.5 μm. The question asks what frequency is this radiation.

OK, thanks.

Also, I'm unsure about the last part of this question - to approximately what temperature would the gas have to be heated to excite vibrations thermally? Again, I feel like there is just some equation or basic fact that I should know to solve this, but it isn't clear to me what that would be.

1. What is vibration frequency in absorption spectra line?

Vibration frequency in absorption spectra line refers to the frequency at which a molecule vibrates when it absorbs energy from a light source. This energy absorption causes the molecule to move and rotate, resulting in the characteristic absorption lines seen in spectroscopy.

2. How is vibration frequency determined from absorption spectra line?

Vibration frequency is determined using the wavenumber, which is the inverse of the wavelength, of the absorption line. This wavenumber is then converted to frequency using the formula v = c/λ, where v is the frequency, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength.

3. What factors affect the vibration frequency in absorption spectra line?

The vibration frequency in absorption spectra line is affected by the nature of the molecule, such as its mass and bond strength, and the energy of the absorbed light. Additionally, environmental factors such as temperature and pressure can also influence the vibration frequency.

4. How is vibration frequency related to molecular structure?

The vibration frequency in absorption spectra line is directly related to the molecular structure of a molecule. Molecules with different structures will exhibit different vibration frequencies due to differences in bond strength and mass distribution.

5. Why is knowing the vibration frequency important in spectroscopy?

Knowing the vibration frequency in spectroscopy is important because it allows scientists to identify and study the structure of molecules. This is because each molecule has a unique set of vibration frequencies, allowing for the identification of unknown substances and the study of molecular interactions and properties.