• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Frequency of sound waves from vibrating wire

Homework Statement

The wire has mass 250g and is tied down at both ends. It has a length of 12.50m and a fundamental frequency of 25.0 Hz. It has linear mass density.
Sound travels at 344m/s in air. Calculate the frequency of the sound waves produced when the wire vibrates at its fifth harmonic frequency.

Homework Equations

v=f lambda

The Attempt at a Solution

Just from drawing the wave, I think the wavelength of the vibration on the wire is 12.5/3.
From v=f lamda, since we know the fundamental frequency and its wavelength at this point (25m), the wire is moving at 625m/s. Which seems very fast.
My problem is, I have no idea how these relate to the longitudinal wave produced in air! Velocities aren't the same. Wavelengths are, I think...

Answers and Replies

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
If the fundamental frequency is a given ...

If the fundamental frequency is a given ...
Well, I don't know what to do with the fundamental frequency? Am I missing something really obvious?
Is the frequency of the sound wave the same as the frequency of vibration of the wire?

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
Definitely. Yes.

Definitely. Yes.
Oh. So then

625 = f* 12.5/3? And that frequency is the frequency of the sound wave. Well... that was quite silly. Thanks anyway :)

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
Now I'm the one who is lost. If the fundamental frequency of a wire is 25 Hz, isn't the second harmonic at 50 Hz, the third at 75, etc ? Like these guys try to tell us (for a guitar string) ?

Oh, and in your original post, you mention a drawing that causes you to think the wavelength for the fundamental frequency is 12/3. Could you explain ? Post the drawing ?

Last edited:
I meant the wavelength of the fifth harmonic is 12.5/3, because at the fifth harmonic there are 3 complete oscillations in the tube. But that was wrong because I thought it went fundamental frequency, first harmonic, second harmonic etc. So it should have been the wavelength is 12.5/2.5. And the frequency thing fits with the answer I got. I ended up with the frequency as 125Hz. So just multiplying the fundamental frequency by 5 would have been a lot quicker :)