Frequency of sound waves from vibrating wire

In summary, the wire with a mass of 250g and a length of 12.50m has a fundamental frequency of 25.0 Hz. When it vibrates at its fifth harmonic frequency, a sound wave with a frequency of 125 Hz is produced due to the relationship v=f lambda. The wavelength for the fifth harmonic is 12.5/2.5, and this frequency is five times the fundamental frequency.
whatisreality

Homework Statement

The wire has mass 250g and is tied down at both ends. It has a length of 12.50m and a fundamental frequency of 25.0 Hz. It has linear mass density.
Sound travels at 344m/s in air. Calculate the frequency of the sound waves produced when the wire vibrates at its fifth harmonic frequency.

Homework Equations

v=f lambda

The Attempt at a Solution

Just from drawing the wave, I think the wavelength of the vibration on the wire is 12.5/3.
From v=f lamda, since we know the fundamental frequency and its wavelength at this point (25m), the wire is moving at 625m/s. Which seems very fast.
My problem is, I have no idea how these relate to the longitudinal wave produced in air! Velocities aren't the same. Wavelengths are, I think...

Physics news on Phys.org
If the fundamental frequency is a given ...

BvU said:
If the fundamental frequency is a given ...
Well, I don't know what to do with the fundamental frequency? Am I missing something really obvious?
Is the frequency of the sound wave the same as the frequency of vibration of the wire?

Definitely. Yes.

BvU said:
Definitely. Yes.
Oh. So then

625 = f* 12.5/3? And that frequency is the frequency of the sound wave. Well... that was quite silly. Thanks anyway :)

Now I'm the one who is lost. If the fundamental frequency of a wire is 25 Hz, isn't the second harmonic at 50 Hz, the third at 75, etc ? Like these guys try to tell us (for a guitar string) ?

Oh, and in your original post, you mention a drawing that causes you to think the wavelength for the fundamental frequency is 12/3. Could you explain ? Post the drawing ?

Last edited:
I meant the wavelength of the fifth harmonic is 12.5/3, because at the fifth harmonic there are 3 complete oscillations in the tube. But that was wrong because I thought it went fundamental frequency, first harmonic, second harmonic etc. So it should have been the wavelength is 12.5/2.5. And the frequency thing fits with the answer I got. I ended up with the frequency as 125Hz. So just multiplying the fundamental frequency by 5 would have been a lot quicker :)

What is the frequency of sound waves from a vibrating wire?

The frequency of sound waves from a vibrating wire depends on the properties of the wire, such as its length, tension, and mass. It also depends on the medium through which the sound waves travel. Generally, the shorter the wire and the higher the tension, the higher the frequency of the sound waves.

How is the frequency of sound waves from a vibrating wire measured?

The frequency of sound waves from a vibrating wire can be measured using a device called a frequency meter or a tuning fork. These instruments measure the number of vibrations or cycles per second, which is the frequency of the sound waves.

What factors affect the frequency of sound waves from a vibrating wire?

The frequency of sound waves from a vibrating wire can be affected by various factors, including the tension, length, and mass of the wire, as well as the medium through which the sound waves travel. Temperature and humidity can also have an impact on the frequency of sound waves.

Can the frequency of sound waves from a vibrating wire be changed?

Yes, the frequency of sound waves from a vibrating wire can be changed by altering the properties of the wire, such as its length, tension, or mass. It can also be changed by changing the medium through which the sound waves travel, for example, by placing the wire in water or air.

What are some real-life applications of studying the frequency of sound waves from a vibrating wire?

Studying the frequency of sound waves from a vibrating wire has various real-life applications, such as in musical instruments like guitars and pianos, where the frequency of the vibrating strings determines the pitch of the sound produced. It is also used in engineering and industrial settings to detect flaws or defects in materials through the use of ultrasonic waves.