Getting a Crying Baby to Sleep

• Thread starter .Scott
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sleep
In summary, a study published in "Current Biology" suggests that carrying a crying infant while walking for 5 minutes, followed by an additional 5-8 minutes of holding, can help them fall asleep. This method is similar to a method used by the speaker's family, which involves carrying the infant around a table until they fall asleep, and then transferring them to their crib. The speaker also mentions that their method involves carrying the infant higher and supporting their head and body fully before placing them in the crib. They also provide a link to an article with additional soothing techniques for crying babies. However, they acknowledge that this method may not work for all infants.
.Scott
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
TL;DR Summary
Per study https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(22)01363-X), walk for 5 minutes then hold for 8 minutes.
A study published in "Current Biology" describes a method for getting crying infant to sleep.
That method:
-- 1) Carry infant while walking for 5 minutes.
-- 2) Continue to hold infant for another 5 to 8 minutes.

In my household, this is very similar to "Daddy's method for getting the baby to sleep".
It is very reliable and quiets the crying in seconds.
When I demo'd it to a very skeptical sister-in-law, she exclaimed "You hypnotized her".
All I do is carry the infant around the dinner table until it is well asleep - usually about 15 times around the table - perhaps 5 minutes.
Unlike the article's recommendations, at that point I carry the infant upstairs and put it in its crib.

Perhaps my crib setting technique is graceful enough to avoid the 5-8 minute wait - or perhaps my kids were sounder sleepers.
I do notice that I carry the infant a bit higher than what is diagrammed in the article. I carry them high enough for the infants head to touch the top of my shoulder. And when I set them in the crib, I am fully supporting the back of head and body, then just lean forward and lower them down. The Mommy takes over from there.

Likes pinball1970, Tom.G and Lnewqban
Biology news on Phys.org
Once the obvious was ruled out, I used to turn him over from one side to the other, then firmly took him in. (Just the one son)

I remember it working at least once and I was very surprised!

If it does not work then you are not doing it right!

1. How do I know if my baby is crying because they are tired?

Babies have different cries for different needs, but a tired cry is usually more fussy and whiny. They may also rub their eyes, yawn, or have a glazed look in their eyes. It's important to pay attention to your baby's cues and try to establish a consistent bedtime routine.

2. What are some methods for soothing a crying baby to sleep?

Some methods include rocking or swaying, singing or playing soft music, gently massaging their back, or giving them a warm bath. You can also try using a pacifier or white noise machine to help calm them down.

3. How long should I let my baby cry before intervening?

It's important to respond to your baby's cries as soon as possible, especially when they are young. However, if you have tried different soothing methods and your baby is still crying, it's okay to let them cry for a few minutes while you take a break to calm yourself down. Just make sure to check on them periodically.

4. Is it okay to let my baby fall asleep while feeding?

It's best to try to keep your baby awake during feedings so that they can learn to self-soothe and fall asleep on their own. However, if your baby is young and needs to eat frequently, it's okay to let them fall asleep while feeding. Just be sure to gently wake them up before placing them in their crib.

5. How can I establish a bedtime routine for my baby?

A bedtime routine can include activities like a warm bath, reading a book, singing a lullaby, and dimming the lights. It's important to keep the routine consistent and try to start it at the same time every night. This will help signal to your baby that it's time for sleep.