1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting a job with a MS in Engineering Technology

1. Feb 23, 2007 #1
    I am about to graduate with a BS in physics with a 3.5. I'm exploring different graduate school options and can get in and do well in physics graduate school, but i'm more interested in Engineering Technology type studies(as opposed to engineering).

Is there a good job market though for someone with a MS in Engineering Technology as opposed to Engineering?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2007 #2
    I didn't know you could go to graduate school with a ET degree, is it a 4 or 2 year degree? The Engineering Technology degrees here is 2 years, and doesn't involve hardly any math just building circuits.

Whats the major difference between EE and ET ?
  4. Feb 23, 2007 #3

The BS is a 4 year degree and it is a glorified 2 year engineering technology degree.

THe MS is a 2 year program and the math only goes up to simple DE's. Never the less, I really enjoy doing that sort of thing...
  5. Feb 23, 2007 #4

Gold Member

What exactly do you mean by "glorified "?

The college that I use to go had a BS in engineering tech. Strangely, it required a lot of math, all the way up to ODE/PDE.
  6. Feb 23, 2007 #5
    At many schools in the US. 4 year Engineering Tech degrees only require math up to HS Algebra 2, not even pre-calculus. Hence it is like a 2 year ET degree from ITT tech.
  7. Feb 23, 2007 #6
    To my original question, would it be difficult finding a decent paying job (about US $50,000) with a BS in physics and a MS in Engineering Technology?
  8. Feb 23, 2007 #7

Gold Member

9. Apr 18, 2011 #8
    I earned my BS in Engineering Technology from Temple University. As far as Math, I took Calc 1 and 2. My degree was electrical/mechanical. I have since earned my MBA and I am looking into Drexels Engineering Technology Masters Program, or Villanovas Six Sigma program. Haven't decided.
  10. Apr 18, 2011 #9
    I make about 80k right now with my BS in engineering technology. When I first graduated I was making 100-120k but i left that position due to amount of overnight travel to the position I have know. I am a Field Engineer in the medical field.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?