Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting a job with a MS in Engineering Technology

1. Feb 23, 2007 #1
    I am about to graduate with a BS in physics with a 3.5. I'm exploring different graduate school options and can get in and do well in physics graduate school, but i'm more interested in Engineering Technology type studies(as opposed to engineering).

Is there a good job market though for someone with a MS in Engineering Technology as opposed to Engineering?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2007 #2
    I didn't know you could go to graduate school with a ET degree, is it a 4 or 2 year degree? The Engineering Technology degrees here is 2 years, and doesn't involve hardly any math just building circuits.

Whats the major difference between EE and ET ?

4. Feb 23, 2007 #3

The BS is a 4 year degree and it is a glorified 2 year engineering technology degree.

THe MS is a 2 year program and the math only goes up to simple DE's. Never the less, I really enjoy doing that sort of thing...

5. Feb 23, 2007 #4

ranger

Gold Member

What exactly do you mean by "glorified "?

The college that I use to go had a BS in engineering tech. Strangely, it required a lot of math, all the way up to ODE/PDE.

6. Feb 23, 2007 #5
    At many schools in the US. 4 year Engineering Tech degrees only require math up to HS Algebra 2, not even pre-calculus. Hence it is like a 2 year ET degree from ITT tech.

7. Feb 23, 2007 #6
    To my original question, would it be difficult finding a decent paying job (about US $50,000) with a BS in physics and a MS in Engineering Technology?

8. Feb 23, 2007 #7

ranger

Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
  9. Apr 18, 2011 #8
    I earned my BS in Engineering Technology from Temple University. As far as Math, I took Calc 1 and 2. My degree was electrical/mechanical. I have since earned my MBA and I am looking into Drexels Engineering Technology Masters Program, or Villanovas Six Sigma program. Haven't decided.

10. Apr 18, 2011 #9
    I make about 80k right now with my BS in engineering technology. When I first graduated I was making 100-120k but i left that position due to amount of overnight travel to the position I have know. I am a Field Engineer in the medical field.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook