Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting a Job with an A.A.S degree in EE

1. Sep 9, 2009 #1
    I currently attend a community college and am enrolled in the electrical engineering program, which has been great so far, electricity is extremely interesting to learn about and I assume the same thing about working with it. Anyway, I was just wondering tho if it was realistic to think I could get a decent paying job, around $18+/hr, with an associates degree in electrical engineering and an A+ certification (I'm hoping to get one or two more after A+ but not sure which ones yet). I want to get a Bachelors in the field as fast as possible but I'm hoping the A.A.S will suffice until I graduate from 4 year. Can anyone tell me what I can realistically do with an A.A.S in EE? I live in NY btw if that means anything.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2009 #2
  4. Sep 11, 2009 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Bodybuilding?

A 2-year degree will qualify you for technician-level jobs, at least here in Silicon Valley. I'd think it is similar in NY. Once you get the technician-level job, many companies will help to put you through the last 2 years of a 4-year degree. You do it at a slower pace, since you are working full time, but the price is right, and you are using your knowledge on the job, which helps you to learn the material better.

In addition to the 2-year degree, it's good to have some practical experience to show potential employers. If you have built some projects on your own, or participated in group design projects, that is a big plus on your resume and in the interviews.

5. Sep 11, 2009 #4
    AAS in EE? I don't know of such a thing. There is an AAS in EET. Adding 2 more years afterward produces a BS in EET.

The AAS will result in getting a technician type of job.

Claude

6. Sep 11, 2009 #5
    My community college offers AAS in EE. The required classes are intro to circuits with analysis of thevenin, networks and Laplace/Fourier transforms, and lab. Also intro to digital circuits with Boolean algebra, Karnaug maps, flip flops and touches on asynchronous digital circuit analysis. All classes require to pass labs of course.

The college also offers EET, but that's completely different.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook