Getting a masters at same university as BS, then going for PhD.

is this a bad practice? if my GPA does not look high enough for grad school, I may stay and get my masters at my undergrad university, and then look to get a PhD elsewhere.

Answers and Replies

fss
If your GPA isn't "high enough", what makes you think you'll get accepted into a (rare) terminal Masters' program? Usually you have to be accepted into a PhD program and earn your Masters' on the way.

Are you in the United States? If so, why bother with a masters before the Ph.D?

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
is this a bad practice? if my GPA does not look high enough for grad school, I may stay and get my masters at my undergrad university, and then look to get a PhD elsewhere.

This is actually a very good strategy.

For many students who think that their undergraduate GPA is weak and may be a challenge to get into a good Ph.D program, getting a Masters Degree and trying to get a stronger GPA is a viable alternative. Of course, one may need to do that at schools that will accept the weak GPA in the first place, but there are plenty of terminal Masters program in the US that may consider a conditional acceptance if one's GPA is that weak.

What this will allow you to do is to re-take some of the courses that you may have not done as well, and then go on with your graduate level classes. If you can get a higher GPA by the time you graduate, then your chances of doing a Ph.D will be significantly higher than if you rely solely on your weak undergraduate GPA. It will also help if you did some research as part of your Masters dissertation.

Zz.

Likes jaskamiin