Getting graph of v(t) on oscilloscope?

In summary, to display a v(t) graph on a Tektronix oscilloscope, you will need to input the voltage through a BNC connection, trigger the signal, and adjust the time base for the desired frequency. It is important to use the correct time resolution for optimal results. A manual for the Tektronix TDS 210 model can be found at the provided link.
seto6
how do i display a v(t) graph of a oscilloscope.

i don't have a manual for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
seto6 said:
how do i display a v(t) graph of a oscilloscope.

i don't have a manual for it.

Here are some good primers and tutorials from Tektronix on oscilloscopes:

http://www.tek.com/learning/oscilloscopes/

Which 'scope are you working with?

its a Tektronix model TDS 210

When you say 'graph', do you mean like a stored image on the scope of a waveform? Like in digital storage scopes? Or do you mean just voltage display? I assume you are looking at some AC waveform, do you know the frequency? There is usually a BNC or two where you input the voltage, usually under ten volts AC, high voltages can damage the scope. Then you have to trigger the signal, either internally or externally and you have to have the right time base dialed in. If you are trying to display a frequency of 100 Mhz, you would need to have the time resolution at somewhere around 1 to 10 nanoseconds per sweep. If you tried to look at 100 mhz and had 1 millisecond dialed in you would just see a band of light with no signal resolved. Hope that helps.

Don, AI3N, Delaware Lehigh Amateur Radio Club, Allentown/Bethleham Pa.

1. How do I connect my oscilloscope to measure velocity over time (v(t))?

To measure velocity over time, you will need to connect the input channel of the oscilloscope to a sensor that can measure velocity, such as a tachometer or accelerometer. Make sure to use the appropriate cables and settings on your oscilloscope for the sensor you are using.

2. What is the best way to interpret the graph of v(t) on an oscilloscope?

The graph of v(t) on an oscilloscope shows the relationship between velocity and time. The vertical axis represents velocity and the horizontal axis represents time. The slope of the graph at any point represents the instantaneous velocity at that moment in time. The overall shape of the graph can also provide information about the acceleration and direction of the object being measured.

3. Can I use an oscilloscope to measure v(t) for all types of objects?

An oscilloscope can be used to measure v(t) for most objects, as long as there is a sensor that can accurately measure velocity. However, some objects may have a very high velocity that may be difficult for the oscilloscope to measure accurately. In these cases, it may be necessary to use a different type of instrument.

4. How can I adjust the scale of the v(t) graph on an oscilloscope?

To adjust the scale of the v(t) graph on an oscilloscope, you will need to use the vertical and horizontal controls on the oscilloscope. These controls allow you to adjust the amplitude and time divisions of the graph, respectively. You may need to experiment with these controls to get the desired scale for your measurement.

5. Are there any limitations to using an oscilloscope to measure v(t)?

While an oscilloscope is a useful tool for measuring v(t), it does have some limitations. It may not be able to accurately measure very high velocities or very small changes in velocity. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurement may be affected by external factors such as noise or interference. It is important to consider these limitations when using an oscilloscope for measuring v(t).