Getting into a UC school from out of state

In summary, the individual currently attends a Community College in New York and wishes to attend a college in California. They are considering applying to UCLA after completing their two years at the Community College. Despite the difficulty of getting into UCLA, they may have a better chance as an out of state applicant due to the need for out of state tuition rates. However, only 9% of undergraduates at UCLA come from out of state and the cost for out of state students is significantly higher. Ultimately, acceptance will depend on their grades, essays, extracurricular activities, and letters of recommendation.
aglo6509
So I currently go to a Community College in New York and really want to go away to college. I know there are some good SUNY schools, but I've always wanted to go to school in California. If I were to apply to UCLA or some other school like it after my two years at my Community College, would I have any chance of getting in?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, why not? UC enrollments are getting hammered, but actually out of state applicants are probably in a better position to get accepted because they want the out of state tuition rates to apply.

Well UCLA is already a very hard school to get into, and they probably give preference to in state students. Only 9% of their undergrads come from out of state. Not only that, but it's incredibly expensive for out of state students. 35k tuition a year plus 15k in housing and fees. Whether you get in or not depends on your grades, essays, extracurricular, and letters of recommendation.

1. How do I apply to a UC school as an out-of-state student?

To apply to a UC school as an out-of-state student, you will need to complete the online application through the University of California's admissions website. You will also need to submit all required documents, such as transcripts, test scores, and essays, by the specified deadline.

2. What are the requirements for out-of-state students to be accepted to a UC school?

The requirements for out-of-state students to be accepted to a UC school are the same as for in-state students. This includes a strong academic record, competitive test scores, and compelling extracurricular activities. However, out-of-state students may also be evaluated on their geographical diversity and potential contribution to the campus community.

3. How do out-of-state students qualify for in-state tuition at a UC school?

Out-of-state students can qualify for in-state tuition at a UC school if they are able to establish residency in California. This typically requires living in the state for at least one year prior to enrolling in the university, having a California driver's license and registering to vote in the state, and demonstrating financial independence.

4. Are there any specific scholarships or financial aid available for out-of-state students at UC schools?

Yes, there are specific scholarships and financial aid available for out-of-state students at UC schools. Some of these include the Regents Scholarship, which is awarded to top-performing students, and the Blue and Gold Opportunity Plan, which covers tuition and fees for eligible students from families with annual incomes below a certain threshold.

5. How can out-of-state students adjust to living in California while attending a UC school?

Adjusting to living in California while attending a UC school may take some time, but there are a few tips to help with the transition. It can be helpful to get involved in campus organizations and activities, explore the local area, and connect with other out-of-state students. Additionally, taking advantage of resources such as the counseling center can provide support for any adjustment challenges.