Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting the average of several typhoon trajectories

1. Jul 10, 2018 #1
    graph.jpg
    Hi
    I am curious to know if there are methods of getting the average of several typhoon trajectories, with the average trajectory represented as straight red lines (for simplicity) as shown in the image. I am assuming that this average wouldn't be a straight line but be represented as a range. Each colored line corresponds to a different typhoon track, all of which are plotted for the entire year. This means that some trajectories were collected at different months. Time interval for each data point is six hours.
    Since I am new to the field, I would just like to know if this was done already, and suggestions as to what/where I should begin to learn to do it. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2018 #2

ChemAir

Gold Member

Pretty good searchable information here for historical tracks https://coast.noaa.gov/hurricanes/

Should be able to search based on basin, year, name, location etc...

4. Aug 15, 2018 at 5:38 AM #3

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Welcome to PF.
    Where with the right statistics you can get any answer you want.

When does an 'average trajectory' have meaning.
    Asking why you require an average trajectory, may help work out what you actually need.
    You already have the convex hull of the dataset.

What mapping projection have you used?
    Do the numbers (without units) on the axes of your map have any meaning?

Start by totalling all the dx and the dy steps for each 6 hour pairs of points. That will give you an average migration vector, having both direction and travel velocity.

Once you have that information you can rotate the map and look at the 'cross path' density profile of the tracks. That will give you a median line.

Is your data set available? Can you attach it to your next post.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted