Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting the image of integration

1. Jul 23, 2010 #1
    How can i get the image of a integral. Say i have a integral function like this
    [tex]
    \int_{\pi/2}^{\pi} \int_{0}^{2} r\sqrt{4-r^2} drd\theta
    [/tex]

Now i want to see what volume the integral giving me. Which software i have to use for this purpose.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2010 #2
    For this particular integral, you can use any software that plots functions of two variables. In this case, I am assuming the third variable is z, as in cylindrical coordinates, and the integral is evaluating the volume under this surface:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=27146&stc=1&d=1279912547.png
    A lot of free software offers this capability, including GraphCalc and Maxima. Note that you can replace r with [itex]\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/itex] in order to enter the equation as z = f(x, y) if necessary.

Attached Files:

4. Jul 24, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's in polar coordinates with [itex]\theta[/itex] going from [itex]\pi/2[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex]- in Cartesian coordinates, that is the second quadrant. r ranges from 0 to 2 so, within the second quadrant, we are within a circle of radius 2. Finally, the upper boundary is [itex]r\sqrt{4- r^2}[/itex] we can put that in Cartesian Coordinates by setting [itex]= \sqrt{x^2+ y^2}[/itex] so that [itex]z= r\sqrt{4- r^2}= \sqrt[x^2+ y^2}\sqrt{4- x^2- y^2}[/itex]. I doubt that is any 'standard' figure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook