1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gibbs-Duhem Relation/Entropic Equations of State

1. Nov 1, 2013 #1
    I'm working through Callen (ch. 3.4) right now and I'm trying to follow his explanation of the Gibbs-Duhem relation:

Beginning with the ideal gas characterizations
    [tex]
    PV = nRT
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    U = cnRT
    [/tex]
    there is some rearranging of terms and we are shown the relations
    [tex]
    \frac{P}{T}=\frac{nR}{V}
    [/tex]
    [tex]
    \frac{1}{T}=\frac{cNR}{U}
    [/tex]
    and recognizing the further definitions of [itex]n/V \equiv v[/itex] and [itex]N/U \equiv u [/itex].
    Then Callen states 'from these two entropic equations of state we find the third equation of state'
    [tex]
    \frac{\mu}{T} = \,function\, of\, u,\, v \,\,\,\,\,\,[1]
    [/tex]
    by integrating the Gibbs-Duhem relation
    [tex]
    d\left(\frac{\mu}{T}\right) = ud\left(\frac{1}{T}\right) + vd\left(\frac{P}{T}\right)
    [/tex]

I'm not seeing where he gets [1] from. Is that just a definition? I noticed a few sections before this he defined:
    [tex]
    d\mu = -sdT + vdP
    [/tex]
    I'm missing something but I don't know what. Just looking for some clarification, thanks.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2013 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He says that the integrated version [1] comes from the differential one called Gibbs-Duhem. So your question is actually where Gibbs-Duhem comes from and that should be answered by Callen.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted