Relation Among Intensive Parameters

In summary, the relation among T, P, and mu for the given system is expressed using the equations of state and the Euler Equation for Thermodynamics. By expressing entropy and volume as per-mole quantities and substituting them into the Gibbs Duhem equation, we can find functions for mu/T and mu/P which can then be integrated to find the desired relation.
Juliush
Hello all, this is my first post! Hopefully I can gain some valuable insight.

Homework Statement

Find the relation among T, P and mu for the system with the given equation
U = b S4/NV2
I let b equal the several constants stated in the problem.

Homework Equations

T=dU/dS
P=-dU/dV
mu=dU/dN
The Euler Equation for Thermodynamics U = TS - PV +mu*N
Gibbs Duhem Relation : mu = -sdT + vdP with s = S/N and v = V/N

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess my biggest issue is understanding what is meant by 'relation'. Do I find mu as a function of T and P? If so, I cannot find a way (using the Gibbs Duhem relation) to express 's' and 'v'. I have already found the partial derivatives (equations of state) of the system. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. I'm not familiar with Latex so I apologize for any misleading notation :)

Physics news on Phys.org
My guess is that they ask to express all those quantities as functions of the others... which you can easily do using the definition. Notice also that after computing all of them you can use Euler Equation to check the result. Other than this, I really don't see what else you could find with what you provided!

I talked to my professor and here's the solution: Once I have all of my partial derivatives, although there are three extensive parameters, really only the entropy and volume are at play here, such that if I express entropy and volume as per-mole quantities, the Ns disappear from all of my partial derivatives. Thus, I can rewrite mu/T and mu/P as functions of molecular entropy and volume and substitute those into the Gibbs Duhem equation dmu = -sdT + vdP by solving for s and v. From there it's straightforward integration.

1. What are the three intensive parameters?

The three intensive parameters are temperature, pressure, and concentration.

2. How are intensive parameters related to each other?

Intensive parameters are related to each other through various mathematical relationships, such as the ideal gas law, Dalton's law of partial pressures, and Raoult's law.

3. What is the significance of intensive parameters in scientific research?

Intensive parameters are important in scientific research as they help us understand and predict the behavior of substances under different conditions. They also allow us to compare and contrast different systems.

4. How do intensive parameters differ from extensive parameters?

Intensive parameters are independent of the amount of substance, while extensive parameters depend on the quantity of substance present. In other words, intensive parameters remain constant regardless of the size of the system, while extensive parameters change with the size of the system.

5. How can we manipulate intensive parameters in experiments?

Intensive parameters can be manipulated in experiments by changing the conditions of the system, such as adjusting the temperature, pressure, or concentration. This allows us to study the effects of these parameters on the properties of the system.