Gibbs Energy and chemical equilibrium

In summary, the equilibrium condition for a chemical reaction involves finding the minimum of the Gibbs free energy function, which can be expressed as dG = ∑u_idn_i = 0. The extent of reaction, dλ, is defined as dn_i/v_i, where v_i is the stoichiometric coefficient. This can be rearranged to dG = ∑u_i(dλ v_i) = dλ(∑u_iv_i) = 0. The book states that dλ is an "arbitrary variation" which simplifies to ∑u_iv_i = 0, meaning that the necessary condition for the Gibbs free energy to be a minimum is that Σv_i μ_i = 0
dRic2
Hi, i'll apologize for my english in advance, so here's the question.

I was wondering about the equilibrium condition for a chemical reaction. We know that a closed system is in equilibrium if the Gibbs free energy's function has a minimun in that point. So, taking Temperature and Pressure as constants (to ease the calculations) the first differential of Gibbs function would be:

[itex] dG = ∑u_idn_i = 0 [/itex] (where ## u_i ## is the chemical potential and ##dn_i## is the infinitesimal variation of moles )

Defying the Extent of Reaction as

[itex]d\lambda = dn_i/v_i[/itex] (where ##v_i## is the stoichiometric coefficient)

the formula can be re-arranged as

[itex] dG = ∑u_i(d\lambda v_i) = d\lambda(∑u_iv_i) = 0[/itex]

then I don't get why my book says that ##d\lambda## is an "arbitrary variation" thus it simplifies in ## ∑u_iv_i = 0 ##
I mean if it is an equilibrium why would ##dn## be "arbitrary"? It should be zero because we can not have a variation in the composition of the system because, at the equilibrium, the properties of the system should remain unchanged.

Physics news on Phys.org
dRic2 said:
Hi, i'll apologize for my english in advance, so here's the question.

I was wondering about the equilibrium condition for a chemical reaction. We know that a closed system is in equilibrium if the Gibbs free energy's function has a minimun in that point. So, taking Temperature and Pressure as constants (to ease the calculations) the first differential of Gibbs function would be:

[itex] dG = ∑u_idn_i = 0 [/itex] (where ## u_i ## is the chemical potential and ##dn_i## is the infinitesimal variation of moles )

Defying the Extent of Reaction as

[itex]d\lambda = dn_i/v_i[/itex] (where ##v_i## is the stoichiometric coefficient)

the formula can be re-arranged as

[itex] dG = ∑u_i(d\lambda v_i) = d\lambda(∑u_iv_i) = 0[/itex]

then I don't get why my book says that ##d\lambda## is an "arbitrary variation" thus it simplifies in ## ∑u_iv_i = 0 ##
I mean if it is an equilibrium why would ##dn## be "arbitrary"? It should be zero because we can not have a variation in the composition of the system because, at the equilibrium, the properties of the system should remain unchanged.

Read it in a different way: You are searching for the minimum of the Gibbs free energy function.

(dG/dλ)p,T = 0 = Σvi μi

Likes dRic2
Thank you, I didn't see that... :)

Anyways, can you explain the mathematical meaning of:

"##d\lambda## is an arbitrary variation thus it simplifies in ##\sum u_i v_i = 0##" (Hope i translated it correctly from my book)

I still don't get it...

If ##d\lambda## is arbitrary, then ##d\lambda \times x = 0## means ##x = 0##.

Ok, but why ##d\lambda## is arbitrary? that's my question. Sorry if I wasn't clear

dRic2 said:
Ok, but why ##d\lambda## is arbitrary? that's my question. Sorry if I wasn't clear

The wording is somehow ambiguous. The quantity dλ is not arbitrary, it is by definition of infinitesimal size, viz. dλ is thought to approach zero as a limit, but doesn’t become zero.

Yes, but i don't get why dn (or ##d\lambda##) is infinitesimal (or whatever) and is not zero. Just I said, temperature and pressure are considered constants and so dT=dP=0, but at the equilibrium also dn should be zero because i can't have material transport from A to B. I think I miss something of the definition of differential...

dRic2 said:
Yes, but i don't get why dn (or ##d\lambda##) is infinitesimal (or whatever) and is not zero. Just I said, temperature and pressure are considered constants and so dT=dP=0, but at the equilibrium also dn should be zero because i can't have material transport from A to B. I think I miss something of the definition of differential...

What it all means: You simply determine the minimum of the function G(T, p, n1, n2, …., nn) with respect to variations in the ni’s; by this, you find the necessary condition for the Gibbs free energy to be a minimum: Σvi μi = 0

1. What is Gibbs Energy?

Gibbs Energy, also known as Gibbs Free Energy, is a thermodynamic quantity that indicates the amount of energy available in a system to do work at a constant temperature and pressure. It is denoted by the symbol G and is measured in joules (J).

2. How is Gibbs Energy related to chemical equilibrium?

Gibbs Energy plays a crucial role in determining whether a chemical reaction will proceed spontaneously or not. At equilibrium, the Gibbs Energy of the system is at its minimum, meaning that there is no more potential for the system to do work. If the Gibbs Energy is not at its minimum, the reaction will proceed in the direction that decreases it until equilibrium is reached.

3. What is the equation for calculating Gibbs Energy?

The equation for Gibbs Energy is ∆G = ∆H - T∆S, where ∆H is the change in enthalpy, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and ∆S is the change in entropy. This equation is known as the Gibbs-Helmholtz equation and is used to determine the Gibbs Energy at a given temperature.

4. How does temperature affect Gibbs Energy and chemical equilibrium?

Temperature has a significant impact on both Gibbs Energy and chemical equilibrium. An increase in temperature leads to an increase in the entropy term (T∆S) in the Gibbs-Helmholtz equation, causing the Gibbs Energy to decrease. This decrease in Gibbs Energy favors the forward reaction, shifting the equilibrium towards the products. Conversely, a decrease in temperature favors the reverse reaction.

5. What is the relationship between Gibbs Energy and the equilibrium constant (K)?

The equilibrium constant (K) is a measure of the extent to which a chemical reaction proceeds towards equilibrium. It is directly related to the Gibbs Energy through the equation ∆G = -RTln(K), where R is the gas constant and T is the temperature in Kelvin. This equation shows that a lower value of K (meaning a lower concentration of products) will result in a more positive value of ∆G, indicating a less favorable reaction. Ultimately, the equilibrium constant and Gibbs Energy are both indicators of the position of a reaction at equilibrium.