Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gibbs Free Energy in Superconductors

1. Mar 3, 2015 #1
    When reading some material concerning Ginzburg-Landau theory of superconductors, I got the following sentence:

The appropriate thermodynamic potential for describing a superconductor in an applied magnetic field is the Gibbs free energy ##G## (natural variable ##H##) and not the Helmholtz free energy ##F## (natural variable ##B##).

I don't understand the sentence. In gas, Gibbs free energy is minimal in constant temperature and pressure. Does this sentence mean that in superconductors Gibbs free energy is minimal in constant ##T## and ##H##? I can't make sense out of it.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2015 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

L&L discuss quite extensively their peferred thermodynamic variables in the case of magnetic fields in previous chapters.

4. Mar 6, 2015 #3
    You mean Landau and Lifshitz‘s textbook?

5. Mar 6, 2015 #4

DrDu

Science Advisor

Sorry, yes, I had erroneously in mind that you had mentioned Landau & Lifshitz. The relevant pair of variables in case of magnetism is not p and V but B and H and you can analogously define energies and enthalpies with different natural variables.
    I think that thermodynamics in the presence of fields is quite a non-trivial matter. Much of the distiction whether B or H are to be preferred depend on the measurement you have in mind and on the chosen separation into system and surrounding, especially, which part of the field belongs where.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook