Gimbal table; tilt calculation given acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses an electronics project involving a two-axis gimbal table that uses stepper motors to control the rotation of frames and keep a mass from sliding off in a moving vehicle. The project also involves monitoring the vehicle's velocity with an accelerometer to determine the necessary angle for the gimbal table. The main challenge is finding the relationship between the vehicle's velocity and the angle of the gimbal table, especially when the table can move and the center of gravity can shift. Suggestions for addressing this challenge include fixing the table to the vehicle or finding a way to shift the center of gravity on the table.
perlmonkey
I am working on an electronics project which is sort of an auto-correcting two-axis gimbal table. There are two degrees of freedom, being two square frames - one can rotate on a pitch or y-axis, the outer frame can rotate about a roll or x-axis. There is a third outer frame which is fixed to a base. These frames are connected together by ball bearing pillow blocks and attached to stepper motors, which in turn are connected to a microprocessor to control rotation of these frames, so that I can move them at a specific angle.
The purpose of this device is to keep a mass which is placed on the center frame, on the frame without it sliding off - in a moving vehicle.
I am monitoring the velocity of the vehicle with an accelerometer, so I can get the g-force in the x and y direction.

So I know I need to tilt, x and y a certain degree to compensate for the acceleration and deceleration of the vehicle, but I have no idea how to get the relationship between the vehicle's velocity and the angle that the gimbal tables should be.

With no object on the table, and with the velocity changing, I'm thinking the table should not move. But placing something on the table will raise the center of gravity and it will want to topple over, like an inverted pendulum - at least this is what I'm envisioning. I need to tilt the pendulum to keep it from falling over.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
If the tilting table was fixed to the vehicle it would be quite easy. You just need to tilt the top it so that the total force on the object is zero. The maths is similar to the "vehicle on a banked track" problem.

If the tilting table itself can move (eg tip over) then I think you need more degrees of freedom so that you can shift the center of gravity relative to the "feet" of the table...or somehow allow the object to slide on the table so the weight is more over some feet than others... but I think that would be very hard to do.

1. What is a gimbal table and how does it work?

A gimbal table is a mechanism used to measure or calculate the tilt of an object based on its acceleration. It consists of a set of pivoted rings or frames that allow the object to rotate freely in any direction, while maintaining its orientation relative to the Earth's surface. This allows for accurate measurement of tilt without interference from external forces.

2. How is acceleration used to calculate tilt on a gimbal table?

Acceleration is used to calculate tilt on a gimbal table by measuring the changes in the object's acceleration as it moves on the rotating axes of the table. By comparing the acceleration values to the Earth's gravitational pull, the tilt can be accurately calculated.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of tilt calculation on a gimbal table?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of tilt calculation on a gimbal table, such as external forces like wind or vibrations, the quality of the sensors used, and the precision of the gimbal table itself. It is important to ensure that these factors are minimized in order to obtain accurate results.

4. How is tilt calculation on a gimbal table useful in scientific research?

Tilt calculation on a gimbal table is useful in scientific research for a variety of applications, such as studying the effects of gravity on objects in motion, analyzing the stability of structures, and measuring the orientation of objects in space. It is also commonly used in engineering and navigation to ensure accuracy and stability.

5. Can a gimbal table be used to measure tilt in any orientation?

Yes, a gimbal table can be used to measure tilt in any orientation as long as the object is able to freely rotate on its axes. This allows for accurate measurement of tilt in both horizontal and vertical positions, making it a versatile tool for various scientific and engineering applications.