Girl on skateboard: boy jumps on, find final speed

  • Thread starter Thread starter niki4d
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Momentum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
niki4d
Messages
13
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 82kg girl is coasting along the floor on a large 2.0kg skateboard. If she is moving 1.8 m/s when a 46kg boy jumps on to the same skateboard, what is the speed of the skateboard immediately after the boy jumps on it?


Homework Equations



Sum of Initial Momentum = Sum of Final Momentum

The Attempt at a Solution



This question looked pretty easy.. but I am sure I am doing something wrong... here's what I did so far:
(84kg)(1.8m/s) + (130kg)(0m/s) = (84kg + 130kg)Vf
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry.. forgot the last part..
I got vf=0.7065m/s

Im not sure if this is right or not.. it SEEMS like an okay speed.. but I havn't done this type of question before.. so just want to be sure. Thanks!
 
niki4d said:
(84kg)(1.8m/s) + (130kg)(0m/s) = (84kg + 130kg)Vf


You should only be looking at the initial and final momentums of the skateboard (and what ever is on it).

So it starts off with a total mass of 84 kg, going at 1.8 m/s. At the end, It has the mass of a 46 kg boy, so the total mass is 130 kg, and v_1 m/s is what we are trying to find. Equating both sides and making v_1 the subject;

[tex]84 kg \cdot 1.8 ms^{-1} = 130 kg \cdot v_1 ms^{-1}[/tex]

[tex]v_1 = \frac{84 \cdot 1.8}{130}[/tex]

I can already tell that's larger than one, so recheck your answer =]
 
Hmm.. that makes sense.. but the answer to that would be 1.163m/s. The answer is 0.97m/s. I don't know how to get to that..
 
Last edited:
Well, That is somewhat odd...I think it's an error in the textbook, but it has been a while since I've studied Physics so I recommend you wait for someone who has more knowledge in this area to confirm.
 
unless there are something else in the problem we have not addressed, otherwise I believe Gib Z's correct.