Given acceleration relation, find variables

In summary, The particle starts from rest at x=4 m and that when t=15s, V=4 m/s. The constant k is 0.25 and the maximum velocity of the particle is 1/k(1-exp(-6k)).
talaroue

Homework Statement

The acceleration of a particle is defined by the relation a=0.4(1-kV), where k is a constant. Knowing t=0 the particle starts from rest at x=4m and that when t=15s, V=4 m/s, determine...
a)the constant k
b)the postion when V=6m/s
c) the maximum velocity of the particle

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a=0.4(1-kV)
0.4(1-kV)=dV/dt...im lost after this, can someone just simply point me in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
talaroue said:

a=0.4(1-kV)
0.4(1-kV)=dV/dt...im lost after this, can someone just simply point me in the right direction.

This is a differential equation for v, you can solve it by separation of variables:

[tex]\int{\frac{dv}{1-kv}=\int{0.4 dt}[/tex]

ehild

let me see if I can take it from here if I can't ill post what work I have done.

I am stuck again, I solved the right side of the equation you created and got .6s. But on the left side i solved by substitution. Where u=1-kV du=k dV so the left side becomes...

(1/k)ln(1-kV) over the intgral of V0=0 V1=4 m/s ...after everything cancels i have (1/k)(ln4k)=.6 is this right? Sorry if it is hard to follow.

which is wrong because those sides do not equal each other when I plug in a number for k

i tried solving without using u, and i got ln(0) at one point which is impossible to solve so i am once again stuck.

You need the function v(t) to get x(t). Integrate with respect to v between 0 and v(t), and between 0 and t on the right side.

[tex]
\int_{0}^{v(t)}{\frac{dv}{1-kv}=-\frac{1}{k}(\ln(1-kv(t))-\ln(1-0))=0.4t
[/tex]

[tex]
-1/k\ln(1-kv(t))=0.4t\rightarrow 1-kv(t)=\exp(-0.4kt)\rightarrow v(t)=1/k(1-\exp(-0.4kt))
[/tex]

At t=15 s, v=4 m/s, so 4=1/k(1- exp(-6k)), k=0.25(1-exp(-6k)) It is a bit tricky, to get k from here. Apply some numerical method.

ehild

There are two things you can do from here:
1) Solve for k numerically via computer box
or
2) You can get an approximation by expanding the exponential with a Taylor Series.
[tex] e^{-0.4 k *15} \approx 1 - 0.4 k*15 + \frac{(-0.4 k*15 )^2}{2} [/tex]
Throw this in your eq. and you should get a decent approximation for k.

it is: k=0.1458...

ehild

I was right, i just couldn't figure out how to solve. That mkes me feel better! Thanks for everything you guys!

for the second part I am stuck...here is my work... this is problem 11.25
dynamics047.jpg

I do not understand your last line. It is all right up to then.

After integration, you got:

[tex]0.4x-1.6=1/k^2[1-kv-ln(1-kv)]_0^6[/tex]

Substitute first v=6, then v=0, and subtract. But how did you get that 48.32?

1-6k-ln(1-6k)=0.1258+2.07317=2.1989, and divided by k^2: 103.6

ehild

1. How do I calculate acceleration using the given acceleration relation?

To calculate acceleration, you need to use the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. Plug in the values for the variables and solve for acceleration.

2. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time, while velocity is the rate of change of position over time. In other words, acceleration measures how fast an object's velocity is changing, while velocity measures how fast an object is moving.

3. Can you find the final velocity using the given acceleration relation?

Yes, you can find the final velocity by rearranging the acceleration formula to vf = vi + at. Simply plug in the values for acceleration, initial velocity, and time, and solve for vf.

4. What are the units for acceleration?

The units for acceleration are typically meters per second squared (m/s²) in the metric system and feet per second squared (ft/s²) in the imperial system. However, other units such as kilometers per hour squared (km/h²) may also be used.

5. Is acceleration always constant?

No, acceleration can vary depending on the object's mass, force acting upon it, and the presence of other external forces such as friction. In some cases, acceleration may be constant, but in others, it may change over time.